Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My son has a '95 Mirage, 1.5L. I know, it's kind of a girly car, but at least he chose that one over the pink Miata.

About 6 weeks ago I replaced the distributor, it was putting no spark to the plugs at all. It ran fine for about a month, then just suddenly started cutting out, but only while accelerating. It would idle just fine, and ran smoothly at a steady speed, but would chug and sputter while trying to get up tospeed.

I had the timing checked and it was right on. I figured probably the Throttle Position Sensor, but changed that with no improvement.

I'm a fairly good shade-tree mechanic, but don't know where tocheck next.

Any and all ideas or advice gratefully accepted.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

I had a problem like that in my astro van while back. come to find out my catilyc converter was almost plugged solid, my sons dodge ram 1500 was the O2 senser in the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
imported post

Fuel filter maybe?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I never really thought it was the fuel filter because of how quickly the problem came on and how consistent it is, but I'll try that this evening anyway.

There seems to be plenty of exhaust coming from the tailpipe, so I don't believe there's any obstruction in the exhaust pipes or catylitic converter. The "Check Engine" light isn't on so I wasn't thinking O2 sensor. Is there a way to check the O2 sensor anyway?

·
dlg14
178 Posts
imported post

Sounds like an ignition coil. You would think they would just crap out but they don't. Does it do it all the time or just when it warms up? Thats my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Was it a used distributor? Over here they are very unreliable and it's really hard to get a used distributor that will work for more than a few minutes.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Check the fuel pressure. It could be a pressure regulator that has dropped the pressure to the point that when you need the extra fuel under accelleration it leans the system out and starts bucking. When it leans out the O2 sensor sees lean and tries to apply more fuel which is not there.

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts
imported post

Ignition problem. Check the distributor cap and rotor and if an external coil (not familiar with that car) the coil and coil wire.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately I don't have a clue. Stuff like that is why I drive vintage cars. No computers or electronics. Easy to troubleshoot and repair. And fun to drive. I do own an '01 Malibu, bought it at a great price, just for the A/C. But I am fully aware that I cannot work on any of the computerized or electronic parts. Just hoping to get A/C installed in my '64 Fairlane before the Malibu bites the dust.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Getting some really great replies, thanks a million to all of you.

I changed the fuel filter this evening, no joy, same problem.

It doesn't have an external ignition coil, and there's a good strong spark at all the plugs. It also has a new cap and rotor, along with nearly new plug wires.

Steve, that's a great suggestion regarding the used distributor (and I'm honored, by the way).It was a used one, but the timing is spot on, and with a good spark at all the plugs I really think the distributor is OK. I don't know all that much about it so if anyone has any other ideas regarding the distributor I'd be glad to hear it.

Monkeytrucker, you are thinking like me, that was the next thing I was going to start researching. And your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Peterbilt I've got a Haynes Manual on order for it. My past experience with them is that they are great for locating parts and instructions on replacing them, but they are a little vague on the troubleshooting.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'd still be glad to hear any other ideas.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
imported post

First thing to do is look at the plugs... are they black?
If it's a fuel delivery problem, they won't be.
My son's truck recently did this, was sputtering a lot, we opened
the hood at night and could see sparks from the plug wires, recent
rain had evidently made it humid enough for them to short out, but not when dry.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
imported post

I know this sounds stupid but clean and tighten your battery terminals. i fought this similar problem with my old 1972 jeep pickup truck. it may not be able to put out enough power for the coil during acceleration.
good luck
Fred

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.