Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay so I'm wondering how hard would it be to just completely hardwire my bike, so many gremlins left behind by PO just wondering how hard it would be. I'm an Electrical technician by trade so the ins and outs of electrical doesn't scare me just wondering how hard it would be? Anyone ever done something like this, or anyone have an opinion good or bad.:baffled::stumped:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

There are a lot of areas that I highly recommend hard wireing. Any area that is critical to safety, reliability or prone to corrosion. Most of these areas have a high amp draw to begin with and additional resistance of connectors increases the likelyhood of failure. Any place you can remove a connector you do not have to undo on a regular basis is a candidate. It will reduce resistance and reduce amp draw. JMHO

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

I agree with Deaddawg, anything you wouldn't have to disconnect regularly could be hard wired if you don't mind having to cut wires and resolder to replace something gone bad.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

Every winter I plan to do just that. And every winter to many other projects get in the way.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I personally would not want to hard wire the complete bike nor would I want to buy a bike completely hard wires. I would rather purchase a bike that is totally original and not rigged. I have done my fair share of rigging and seen many rigged wiring.It just looks wrong and tends to cause confusion. I would only condone or recommend it except as a truly last resort and unless cost really prohibits an economical repair.

I do not necessary go looking for too many problems or too much PM any more. Once they surface, then I try and do a total repair. Inspect the connections. Try and findextra good connectors and do a quality splice and keep it original.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

What are the odds (or price, if available) of getting a new harness? I know my 1100 Star wasnt too bad to buy, but the wings have a whole bunch more stuff that needs power. Just a thought.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

As one Electronic Tech to another I'd recommend rewiring but using better quality plugs and sockets where it makes sense, in other places dispense with the connectors. The only caveat about eliminating connectors is that it will be harder to replace parts with hard wiring. It's important to keep as close as you can with color codes or at least mark up a schematic with the new colors or you're condemning some poor future owner who's trying to work on the bike to hours of swearing and hair pulling.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

Yep, please buy the proper wire colors. Also those little 3M wire tape tags are very useful.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

I would look at the particular area in question and then purchase a "ready" made harness to replace it with.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If I were to replace my bike's wiring harness I'd strip the old one off and lay it out with nails on a hunk of plywood and build a new one right over it, that way you get the lengths the same as original which would make it easier to reinstall and do a neater job than trying to do it wire by wire on the bike. It's not hard to remove the harness and replace it, I've done that on a, 82 Aspencade. I wasn't replacing the wire but stripping the frame for sand blasting and repainting. Lots of pictures sure can help figuring out the routing when replacing it. I should have taken some it would have saved me a couple hours.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Have you considered pulling the connections, cleaning them and coating with dielectric grease first. Maybe just corrosion.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
imported post

If you are looking to replace the stock connectors look at Deutsch. they make excellent weathertight connectors. I have used them for many wiring repairs and to add light bars etc to older bikes. They are so well sealed that corrosion is not an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.