Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just figured on letting some folks know how bad the R&I on the carbs of the 1500 would be. I think the most frustration of the job is the Tupper Ware!!!. I have a 99 Aspy with 111K on it and I believe the carbs have never been gone through. Now I know first hand that they have never been touched. I removed them for several reasons.

1st was to check the vacuum lines under the intakes. I've read several posts on this and found that the owners of an 88 1500 had several leaks under the black skirting around the intakes.

2nd was the poor mileage all of a sudden. I figured that for 89.00 dollars from Randakk's for their kit, it would be money well spent.

The Things I found associated to a lot of posts can be found around and under the carbs. If your engine is Surging even after it's warm, it is caused most likely by your Idle cable adjuster located under the fuel door and to the right.

I followed mine all the way to the linkage stop and found it to be seized. When I moved it to the left or right, It could make a quarter turn and barely moved the adjuster.
After removing the carbs I found a crack on the phenolic block located under the carbs themselves.

So if your having problems with your engine, first thing is too notdismantle the carbs but to troubleshoot the problems. I do this for a living so It's 2nd nature for me!!.

Just wanted to put out here it's not as tuff as It seems!!.
It does however require some good knowledge and perhaps some hands on experience of working on carbs before you tackle on a job like this. But most of all it is quiet do-able.

I've attached some pics for you to view................Thanks

Allan AKA flyboyziel56:waving:

Attachments

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Now the hidden vacuum parts under the skirt!!

Attachments

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Carbs rebuilt and almost completed!!!

Attachments

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hold down plate for the breather assembly installed. Now for the vacuum routing and the final touches!!!. I'll send pics tomorrow after their installed and synced!!.

.........................................Allan

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,688 Posts
imported post

:claps: good job Allan,
thanks for the great pictures.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I am willing to put seafoam in my gas and if it acts up..... to find a shop for this!

Thanks for the pictures. I now know that I would not attempt it. Before, I was unsure if I would or not. :doh::doh:

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
imported post

maybe by the time you and Steve get finished putting your bikes together the weather will have cooled down enough we can enjoy riding again. good job on the pics

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

babypp2 wrote:
Carbs rebuilt and almost completed!

Well had a slight "FUBAR" yesterday after installing the carbs into the bike. Seems the tube to the "HEAT RISER" which is under the carbs started to leak. I noticed a lot of antifreeze under the bike after it warmed up. So I shut it down to investigate the leak and happened to flash the light at the right angle and saw it leaking around the riser. well carbs gotta come off I thought!!. So during the removal of the fuel pipe to the carb it "BROKE"!!. Dang - it!!:sadguy:, So now I need a new clamp, and a "T" fitting. But the bike runs SMOOOOOTH!!:congrats:. Called mother Honda this morning to see if the "T" fitting was in stock and they said it would have to be ordered in. I'll go to my local hardware store and see if they have one in stock!!.

..................................................Allan AKA flyboyziel56

OH!! I forgot to mention if your thinking of rebuilding your fuel petcock valve, make sure you have the right parts. Yesterday Larry AKA Xzebra came over to the shop and he hadbought 2 new valves 1 for him and 1 for me. these were aftermarket for the UK. Tour Max is the name and the part # is 743541. It is a FUEL TAPKIT according to the box. Well it's the wrong size everything:shock:. Fuel diaphragm for both sides are too small and the spring is very week compared to the original. there is an 'O" ring included which plays no role in the assembly??. Now I know that this will not fit my 99 Aspy, however it may fit another year.All I'm saying is to measure your petcock assembly and compare it to yours before youdisassemble it. I'll follow up withsome reassembly pictures as I go to show you these ease of installation.

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

OK!!, Carbs are done!!

Attachments

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Installed in the bike!!

Attachments

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

This is what happens when you discover a leak!!

Attachments

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

This is the petcock removed from the bike. Make sure you look at the new Diaphragm before you dismantle the old one. It should be the same diameter as the housing as shown here. Measure the circumference of the housing first!!!.

Attachments

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

I had a friend ask me if i wanted to do the carbs on his 1500 glad i said no

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status