Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
If you would put a Battery Tender on every time you get home, the next time you let it sit for 3 weeks, or 3 months, it will start the first time.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Might have nothing to do with it but is it sitting on the center stand or kick stand?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
always on the center stand

Reactions: Screw

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
My 1500 has to be cranked a while if it's been sitting a long time - like a month, not a few days. I try to run bikes fairly often. They really don't like to sit for long periods. I'm not sure why. But when I put a bike back in the shed after a run, I always put marine Stabil in the tank and run it enough to get in in the carbs. On the 1500, I'm guessing the fuel in the carbs evaporates and I have to crank 'til I refill them. I don't know much about women either.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,305 Posts
My 1500 has to be cranked a while if it's been sitting a long time - like a month, not a few days. I try to run bikes fairly often. They really don't like to sit for long periods. I'm not sure why. But when I put a bike back in the shed after a run, I always put marine Stabil in the tank and run it enough to get in in the carbs. On the 1500, I'm guessing the fuel in the carbs evaporates and I have to crank 'til I refill them. I don't know much about women either.
you are quite right on the fuel evaporating from the carbs.

If, the vacuum fuel shut off valve were replaced with an electric one, and then a switch was added with a relay to isolate the ECM from reverse power, you could "prime the carbs" before a start....

push prime button, count to 10, turn key on, hit start button and varoom!

that way, it could sit for a year, and still start up just like it was yesterday the last time. although, if it sat for a year, there could be more than just "no fuel" gone wrong.... bikes don't like to sit, as you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
I think there's a benefit to having to crank the engine a bit after a long layup: The bearings might dry up a bit and a crank or two would help lube them up before the start.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust, what do I know Im a Diesel mechanic, lol. Im wondering if fuel is leaking through to the cylinders, but less likely on the center stand. Could just check for spark after sitting that would tell you for sure if its fuel. One shot of starting fluid in the carb box before cranking would tell you if its fuel probably too. I just really dont know, deep down I think the switch.

·
Administrator
25,780 Posts
I think there's a benefit to having to crank the engine a bit after a long layup: The bearings might dry up a bit and a crank or two would help lube them up before the start.
Nope, it's better if the engine starts right away and spins the oil pump faster to get the oil pressure up & sling it around. A turn is a turn on a dry bearing if it's cranking or running doesn't matter.

·
Administrator
25,780 Posts
21 - 29 of 29 Posts