Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well, I was on my way to work tonight when I cam across Bambi so I slowed down to about 10 mph to pass the little one (probably about 6-7 months old at this point). I passed the little one and after about 500 ft I sped back up to about 35 which is still under the speed limit. Maybe a half mile down the road, another deer jumped out in front of me giving me just enough time to put my hand on the brakes. I didn't even get to slow down. It was very similar to this only I was going slower. I managed to keep the bike rubber side down and I'm ok. The deer (3 or 4 point) is nowhere to be found and either is my right side mirror and a few other parts. lol. I have several questions:

1. Since the mirror is gone, is there a connector for the light that was on it or will I have to splice the wires?

2. I was able to ride it home so I'm fairly certain that the mechanics of the bike are ok, but what all is up front of the forks in the fairing other than the headlights that I should check out?

3. what's the best way to check the forks to make sure that there's no damage (bent forks)?

I'm sure that I'll have more questions as I go along, but we shall see where the insurance goes with it. I'd like to do the repairs myself, but I don't know for sure that I have the time or a place yet. Oh, and does anyone have a spare wineberry red front tupperware and mirror that I could buy off of them. LOL. I'll get pics tomorrow in the daylight.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

In Texas we call that lucky because you just saved yourself a bullet, andas you didn't shoot it, it doesn't count towards your total. :applause:

PS, Sorry Cousin Jack, couldn't resist!!

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I wish I could take it back and put it in my freezer. I'm going to stop and look in the morning for my parts that fell off as well as the deer. Its gonna be a cold night so If it's dead and the other animals don't get to it, it's going in the freezer.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

You were very lucky, I'm glad you weren't injured. The mirror would have had a connector block near the bracket.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you. That's what I saw looking at the parts list, but I don't remember seeing that when I looked last night. I think that the connector might have ripped off when the mirror came off. I'll get a better look at it today. I'm going to have the insurance look at it as well.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Hey glad you are ok....Not too many people can say they hit a forrest rat with their wing and did not lay it down. I would be like you and go and look for the deer and the parts also. Most likely will not be able to use them as they will be too damaged. Hope all turns out well with the insurance people.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
imported post

Wow Ive seen alot of them and come close to hitting them both in a car and on a motorcycle...

What follows is a true story

Interestingly enough the only time Ive ever hit a deer, was riding up a paved trail that runs along the river doing about 15 or 16 miles an hour. There as I came around a corner was a group of about 9 or 10 of em in the road... Not sure about the number as they took off pretty fast, but the one I am sure about was as I locked up the front brake and my tire started to skid just as I was coming to a stop my back tire lifted up and almost sent me over the bars as I gently bumped into his ribcage. A really young buck with nubs.

Road racing bike. Had to get the BICYCLE rim trued...

Edit.

Glad you are OK, Could have been much worse. And get that wing fixed M8...

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Glad to hear you got through it fine and I hope you get it fully repaired without drama. At least it's winter.
I hit my deer (forked horn) at 50mph in the rear quarter/rib area, also stayed rubber side up, but my deer was hamburgered. As was the left side plastic, left radiator, fairing, timing belt cover,... But I did find both deer alert whistles.
Did that with the current bike, about 5 months after purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

pcfix_3 wrote:
I wish I could take it back and put it in my freezer. I'm going to stop and look in the morning for my parts that fell off as well as the deer. Its gonna be a cold night so If it's dead and the other animals don't get to it, it's going in the freezer.
Did you find that deer? :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Update: I didn't find the deer, but I did find a few pieces that would be worth fixing if I do the job myself. I'm taking the bike in to get an estimate for repairs to send to my insurance. Most of the damage that I can see without taking anything off is just a few cracks and a few small broken pieces. The mirror is salvageable, but it will probably be the bigger chunk of change in the repairs if done by me. If I have the shop do it, I'm going to want all new parts if I can and I would like to keep the old parts so I can fix them. If I go with just replacing the pieces just the major outer parts add up to about $1851 new and who knows whats underneath. I checked the radiator right after the accident and again in daylight, it's good, the engine is good, the guards are still where they are supposed to be, etc... I'm just wondering what all is under that front right side of the plastic that needs replacement/repair. I believe that if there isn't much under there that's broken I could fix it for less than $500. We shall see though.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Holey crap Adam. Just catching up to this.

Glad to see you are OK.

PM sent

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Well, took the bike to get an estimate on Saturday. They said that it will be done by today and they would give me a call/email. No call/email yet so I'm guessing either they didn't get around to it or they are still finding broken pieces. When I went through the claim with my car a while back the adjuster looked at it for 5 minutes and had an estimate ready. Is this normal for a bike?

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well, I got my bike back from getting an estimate yesterday. It looks as if they didn't take anything off of the bike so I don't know why it took 2 and a half weeks and $190 but they did give me a "detailed parts list". At least my insurance now has the info they needed. It turns out that if you hit a deer at 35mph and keep the bike rubber side down, it still does about $4200 worth of damage to it. Well, parts stores here I come.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Ya, so am I. Still I'm saddened by her being OOC for a little bit. I'll be back riding soon though.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

deer usually run in family units...you see one get in your way and slow down till you are well away...on some trips i remember averaging 70-80 thru dark back hyways....wow were we lucky!.....we dont do that at night any more on trips.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

grambo wrote:
deer usually run in family units...you see one get in your way and slow down till you are well away...on some trips i remember averaging 70-80 thru dark back hyways....wow were we lucky!.....we dont do that at night any more on trips.
Yep, I usually run 55-60 through that area without a problem. That evening though, I saw the little one and slowed down to about 10 under, but that didn't work either, LOL. The funny thing is it's just one of those things that if I had resumed my speed I might have been past him before he jumped out, and if I slowed down even more he might have jumped out in front of me which could have gone one of two ways. :? I'm just lucky that it happened the way it did.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

That's the thing with deer, they are so unpredictable. Just when you think you have figured them out, they do the opposite! There are loads of them around here and riding at night is always risky specially during rut season. I'm glad you came out OK and kept the rubber on the road.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I once had a deer run at my car in an apparent attempt to try and get hit. Hit the gas and could hear her little hooves as they went by the back of the car. Another co-worker had one slam in to the back door of his car. Both of these on the same road I hit my deer on with the bike. I think deer have depression issues and there are no good shrinks in the animal kingdom...

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

rpeters549 wrote:
I once had a deer run at my car in an apparent attempt to try and get hit. Hit the gas and could hear her little hooves as they went by the back of the car. Another co-worker had one slam in to the back door of his car. Both of these on the same road I hit my deer on with the bike. I think deer have depression issues and there are no good shrinks in the animal kingdom...
:ROFL: come to think of it I haven't seen a "deer whisperer" yet. :ROFL:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.