Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
57,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

http://www.pddnet.com/news-ford-to-recall-fusion-milan-sedans-to-fix-wheels-120911/

Ford is recalling more than 128,000 Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan sedans from the 2010 and 2011 model years because the wheels can fall off the cars.

The recall affects only cars with 17-inch steel wheels built from April 1, 2009 through April 30, 2009, and from Dec. 1, 2009 through Nov. 13, 2010.

If you have one of these vehicles, keep an eye on your mailbox for the recall notice.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Man they're hitting all my vehicles, first my 1800 and now our Milan. Lucky for me the car has the premium alloy wheels.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
imported post

I've had some bad times
Lived through some sad times
But this time it scary for real

Ya picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel

:D

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Well...at least they circled the problem...:ROFL:
Amen!

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Top-selling American vehicle of all time:

Ford F150.

Wouldn't trade mine for anything else.
I know, some people love their fords, but be careful with that statistic. The actual statistic is that the ford "F-SERIES" is the best-selling vehicle of all time. That includes everything from the f-150 up to the double sleeper semi's and dump trucks. Also, remember, there are moreChevy trucks registered than fords (at least there were about 8 years ago when I challenged that statistic), so where are all the fords going?

I wonder, what year is your f-150 and have you had to change the plugs yet?

Tothere credit, at least their issuing the recall this time. The recall for the ignition on the Focus was great; until you find out they're just replacing it with another one identical to the faulty one. They never have issued a recall for the shifter on the Focus. And despite 30 years of developement and recalls, for some reason the ignition switches stillspontaneously combust[/b] and the gear shifts still magically slip out of park into gear or have failed neutral[/b] safety switches on all their cars. And I'm sure we all remember Firestone. My old man was a ford guy. In 91 he bought a brand new Taurus[/b] station wagon, shiny champagne[/b] and tan leather. Two weeks after he bought his 0 miles car the alternator caught fire. They fixed it. 6 weeks later the transmission blew out. They fixed it. When the replacement alternator failed (at least it didn't catch fire this time) he finally told them to keep their car. So then he bought an aerostar[/b], 3 head gaskets later he decided[/b] to get an astro[/b]. 160,000 miles and nothing more than a couple belts and an idler pulley[/b] needed.

You should watch top gear some time and see the problems Jeremy Clarkson[/b] has gone through with his GT. This is just the way Ford operates[/b].

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
imported post

Before we go too far down the road bashing a particular brand, lets remember that they all have been "in the barrel" at some point.

Toyota, Honda (yes, even our beloved GW's), GM, Chrysler, Chevy, etc. - the list of recalls, bad designs, even dangerous designs, goes on and on.

The simple fact is that vehicles have become very sophisticated pieces of engineering. Consider that we expect one to take us safely down the road for thousands and thousand of miles, at speeds of 60mph (or more), year after year, with minimal maintenance. Unlike our bikes, when was the last time you checked your tire pressures and fluid levels before you pulled the car/truck out of the driveway? Yet many of us do check these religiously before we pull out on our bikes.

Then consider all the parts and all the origins of the materials for all those parts. Materials for a modern vehicle come from all over the globe, from rare earth metals in China/Russia/Australia to rubber from Indonesia and circuit boards from Ireland. All those of millions of parts all have to come together, on time and per plan, in order for the industry to produce ~17 million vehicles a year, year in and year out, that will accomplish the objective of taking people and goods down the road. The production of vehicles is one of the most amazing feats in logistics in the history of mankind.

When you stop and take a step back, it's pretty amazing there aren't more problems than there are - and the ones that have happened certainly aren't owned by any one organization. At the end of the day vehicles are designed by people and built by people - and sometimes people, despite their best intentions, make mistakes. We all have our passions for a particular brand/model (like Goldwings!), but to single out any one firm is neither fair nor reasonable. At the end of the day, the industry tries it's best, and sometimes it just isn't quite good enough. It's called being human...

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Fair enough, I just love messin' with Ford guys.

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

I would have expected the inventor of the car would be able to get the wheels and wheel nuts right after more than a century making them. :shock2: :cheeky1: :smiler:

·
Old School Guru
7,885 Posts
imported post

Had owned a lot of Fords over the years, 50s and 60s were pretty good, except for FordOMatic transmissions, in the 70s started getting electrical problems. My last Ford for me was a 77 Granada which I bought new, had every kind of electrical problems known to man, windows, seats, lighting, bad switches, and in 33,000 miles, 8 ignition boxes. It spent it's first 12,000 miles running back and forth to the dealership, after the warranty ran out,I managed to limp it along until 1980 when I managed to trade it off for a Dodge Magnum XE, which between me and my ex-wife, ran for 10 years trouble free until she wrecked it. I miss that car, it was a fast mamajama! Since those days, I've owned mostly Chevy trucks with zero problems, and Dodge cars/mini vans, with the exception of a Geo Metro which although it was fairly reliable, I hated to drive it, and a 01 Accent which was an excellent small car that we had since new and got ourDodge Caravanlast year and gave the Accent to our son who was in the military at the time, and his ex took off with his car, and he needed one. Can't bring myself to own another Ford, since those were the only cars that I've owned that had ever stranded me along the road. Not bashing them, just glad that I can choose for now, what to drive.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My '69 F250 4x4 was a working fool, it bumped over miles of tundra, forded quite a few creeks and never failed to run in -40F weather. My 94 F250 has hauled 5th wheel RVs and my camper a lot of miles and other than the 460's appetite for gasoline it's never had a problem one. Still truckin.

I had a '90 Dodge Cummins 3/4T that ran almost to 300,000 miles before I sold it for the more comfortable Ford. Last I heard the old Dodge had passed 400,000 miles and still going.

Actually of all the American and foreign (English, German and Japanese) cars I've owned since 1958 the only one that really was crap was my '78 Cherokee.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.