Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I met for lunch, he on his new K1300S.

While the K1300S is rife with advanced technologies, we found this bit of low-tech quite appealing. The wheel's Schrader valve is integrated into one of the spokes of the wheel.

No rubber to rip/tear, no leaky right-angle adapter. Just a nicely-machined fitting into a hollowed-out spoke in the wheel. Actually quite an elegant solution to a problem that has vexed riders since - well - the pneumatic tire.

I present you:

For those unfamiliar with the K1300S:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Nice

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
There are several bikes and cars using a similar installation. I've thought about doing that to the wheels on my Jeep. They're mostly solid aluminum, shouldn't be too hard to drill into the side of the rim and then up from the inside of the wheel and thread it for a valve stem. Maybe when I get ready to get a new set of tires.

·
650 Posts
this would be imposible for tpm systems and i am surprised that this new bike has none since it is manditory in all US
vehicles since 2007

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Very clean idea.
And very nice bike !

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
this would be imposible for tpm systems and i am surprised that this new bike has none since it is manditory in all US
vehicles since 2007

Have you not seen TPMS sensors that are strapped to the inside of the rim independent of the stem?

·
650 Posts
well if i would of read what it said on the rim( sensor position) i would of known, me bad, sorry

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
There are several bikes and cars using a similar installation. I've thought about doing that to the wheels on my Jeep. They're mostly solid aluminum, shouldn't be too hard to drill into the side of the rim and then up from the inside of the wheel and thread it for a valve stem. Maybe when I get ready to get a new set of tires.

But you would still have to do something with the existing stem hole.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
But you would still have to do something with the existing stem hole.
True but it wouldn't be hard to take care of that with a spot of weld.
The real problem is that the tires are pretty new so it's going to be awhile before I can even take a good look at the rims to make sure it's doable. Tough with a Jeep, I don't want it down in the winter because of snow, and in the summer that's when it's time to hit the hills for some trail riding, then in the fall there's the chasing and shooting of forest ruminants. Man, things are tough around here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.