Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The determining factor is how much bend and where? A large radius curve can be straightened, a sharper bend really can't be straightened perfectly and still guarantee the cross section is still round. It if were me, and the bend was more than an inch over the length of the fork I'd go for a new one. The main thing is that you don't want to be always thinking of the fork when cruising at high speed!

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If they werecarbon steel, they'd rust. They are magnetic so that eliminates most of the common stainless steel alloys. They do pit from corrosion. I'd guess a chrome finish. Anyone know for sure?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Rubber itself doesn't wear into steel, it's the bits and particles in it that come from manufacturing or just grit the rubber picks up that does the trick. Same reason you don't use any old paper to clean lens with, the stuff picks up tiny hard particles and end up embedded that can scratch. Think of rubber as a nice matrix to hold grinding compound.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The problem is not all tha uncommon, I've had to make up a wire ring to fit between a shaft seal and the recess it pressed into just to make sure the seal didn't sit on the worn spot. It left the seal sitting a little bit proud but it worked alright since the width of the steel housing of the seal was about 3/8" wide and the wire a little less than 1/16".

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Amazing how some people don't want to pay up when the screw up! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.