Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Moderators: There is currently no intention of producing more of these but if you consider this a commercial solicitation I do understand.

A bit of patience reading this may well reward some member of Goldwing Facts.

Since I have a Harbor Freight milling/drilling machine in the garage and wanted to try making a fork brace (more time for machining than money to buy the super one) I bought a piece of .625" X 2.50" X 12" piece of extruded 6061-T6 aluminum. I figured that was enough to screw up one and have enough to make a serviceable second one. Well, the first one though not so pretty turned out completely OK. I'm very pleased with the handling improvement with it in place. How it compares to that commercial one I have no way of knowing.

Below is the first brace.

It ain't so pretty with the filed edges (lots of time spent with a metal rasp) but nobody sees it with the upper fender cover in place anyway.

Below is what the bottom side looks like.

Machined to fit snugly between the fork tube flanges, it worked out very nicely.

Having learned much from making the first, considerably less machining went into the second plus I figured a way to machine beveled edges without a tilt vise.

My opinion only but this one looks far more refined than the first. The bike has the same improved performance with either one in place.

The one drawback is that the upper fender cover doesn't fit as closely to the fender.

Then again I think it still looks pretty darned good. Plus I found some socket head bolts so the cover is held in place without bolt heads being visible. Just found them locally today so no time for picture taking and editing.

So here's the deal: The second brace is available at no cost to whichever GL1500 owner in the continental USA I get the first email from. Brace and everything needed except tools (instructions you get) to install it is included. And in return I want blatantly honest opinion about it. I would love someone that has the other one on their bike to compare with but know there's small chance of that happening. So blatantly honest opinion is what I expect. I just want to know if a lot of time was spent positively or otherwise machining less than $15 worth of aluminum (that's both braces, not just one).

Once I send the brace, it is yours.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

PM sent

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Ok 2 Things I need to know.

HOW, Did you get more than one pic in a post. Grin

Good Job.

Also great job on the Brace.

I too have often thought of making my own as I spend an awfull lot of time just turning small circles and figure eights in parades locally and I can feel the slop in the front end.

I always wear my front tire out before the rear and it usually should be the other way around.

Ok Second thing. What are the dimensions of the brace and hole diameters and spacing.

I program 73 CNC Machines for a job and can play some here if I get the 3rd herd guys to run the part for me.

Have a GREAT DAY and nice job.

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Mohawk wrote:
Ok 2 Things I need to know.

HOW, Did you get more than one pic in a post. Grin

Good Job.

Also great job on the Brace.

I too have often thought of making my own as I spend an awfull lot of time just turning small circles and figure eights in parades locally and I can feel the slop in the front end.

I always wear my front tire out before the rear and it usually should be the other way around.

Ok Second thing. What are the dimensions of the brace and hole diameters and spacing.

I program 73 CNC Machines for a job and can play some here if I get the 3rd herd guys to run the part for me.

Have a GREAT DAY and nice job.

Mohawk
Pictures took me a bit of fooling around but it came down to uploading them to my picture gallery. After that I opened another tab with for sale/wanted forum and started a new post. When I wanted to insert a picture I found the picture I wanted from the other tab and did "copy image link" from the full size picture. Then went to the posting tab and clicked "insert image" icon and pasted the link in there and voila! The rest was simply repeating the process of each of the other images. Like I said it took me a bit of playing around to figure it out.

You may have better measuring instruments than I did to come up with dimensions. The dimensions were taken by removing the upper fender cover and measuring center to center hole distances on the flanges. On both braces I had to do a bit of filing to get good hole alignment.

The 2.5" blank was machined to total length of 5.53".

Side to side the holes measure 4.56" center to center. Front to back corners the holes are 1.58" center to center. These are the 4 corner holes which must accomodate 7mm X 1.0 X 25mm long bolts. The two center holes are for 6mm X 1.0 X 20MM length bolts. They are also at the 4.56" center to center and directly centered between the larger corner holes. The distances are pretty close but might need to have a little filing. Like I said you may have a better means of measuring it yourself since you're into more sophisticated machining than my hobby stuff.

On the bottom side I machined down .125" to fit snuggly between the flanges. The center part is 3.987" wide and approx .75" front to back. The outside edges were machined to 3.662" and approx .875" each.

The top flanges were machined .250" deep and .915" wide.

That should get you what you're attempting to accomplish with a minimum of hand filing. Otherwise you may want to pull the upper fender cover and do some measuring yourself. I found one heck of an improvement in the handling when doing those figure eights as well as highway feel, cornering and all maneuvering. I've been completely impressed so far.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

Ok Thanks,

If I get a chance I will pull my front and double check the dimensions.

Either way I can post the G-code Program here for anybody to grab.

I can post it for a generic Fanuc Control or most any other brand of control.

Thanks again.

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

How cool . Now if I only had CNC shop in my garage :cheeky1:. Winged thanks for sharing all your info . I may try and lay one out with some dichem and use my drill press . Not sure if I could do the recesses with my router or not . But heck , I have a lot of time on my hands .

Mohawk I wish you success in setting up a program . I am sure you will do it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

You don't need a CNC of your own just a connection in a shop somewhere where they will run it for you.

The program is a real simple one with just 5 tools.

Spot Drill to mark position and to chamfer the two different size drilled holes.
The two different size drills.
Small Face Mill.
45 degree chanfer mill or a radius mill for edges.

Cycle time will be less than 5 minutes for both operations.

Example of the program code that you can copy and paste is here.

G10 L2 P1 X-26.0172 Y-12.8561 Z-16.755 ( G54 )
( ZERO IS LOCATED CENTER OF FIXTURE TOP OF PARTS )
( *** ADJUST Z ZERO FOR YOUR PART WITH PROBE *** )
( )
N30 G00 G17 G40 G80 G90 G94 G98
( ROUGH FIRST PASS )
N40 T39 M06 (T39 - 4.00" FINISH FACE MILL)
N45 S3820 M03 (TM 3.0)
N50 G54
N55 G00 X20. Y-6.7
N60 G43 H39 Z1.
N65 (ROUGH_PASS)
N70 Z0.1
N75 G01 Z0.01 F95.
N80 G01 X-20. F55.
N85 Y-2.825 F100.
N90 G01 X20. F55.
N95 Y2.825 F100.
N100 G01 X-20. F55.
N105 Y6.7 F100.
N110 G01 X20. F55.
N115 G00 Z3.

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I'm guessing there are probably plenty of job shops all over that have CNC mills and in the current financial world many would be glad to do this kind of thing. The aluminum to make two of these cost about $10, a thicker and wider piece was ordered at the same time at about $12 and shipping for the two was $10. I bought them from "On Line Metals" (google will find it for you).

Just a side note here: I have made more complex pieces than this with a Dremel tool, hand files, a machinists square and Vernier Calipers. It was a shift collar for an old outboard motor and worked just great. Anyone with some patience could do that with this as well. Oh yeah, it would be time intensive but imagine your satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

WingedNut, you said The one drawback is that the upper fender cover doesn't fit as closely to the fender.

It's the same with the high dollar ones from the vendors. I have one.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I'll look forward to your posting the CNC code, Mohawk. A generic Fanuc controller post will be just fine. There should be some scrap aluminum laying around the shop. I own a small machine shop which at present has very little work.
I just got my 1500 (after having owned an 1800) and I noticed the flimsy feel to the front end when making circles or going around tight corners.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Motosickle wrote:
so who wants to make one for me???
ditto...;)

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Not a problem at all. :cooler:

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

Yea , I might be interested to help a small business man out . Let us know how it works out please .

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

Mohawk wrote:
You don't need a CNC of your own just a connection in a shop somewhere where they will run it for you.

The program is a real simple one with just 5 tools.

Spot Drill to mark position and to chamfer the two different size drilled holes.
The two different size drills.
Small Face Mill.
45 degree chanfer mill or a radius mill for edges.

Cycle time will be less than 5 minutes for both operations.

Example of the program code that you can copy and paste is here.

G10 L2 P1 X-26.0172 Y-12.8561 Z-16.755 ( G54 )
( ZERO IS LOCATED CENTER OF FIXTURE TOP OF PARTS )
( *** ADJUST Z ZERO FOR YOUR PART WITH PROBE *** )
( )
N30 G00 G17 G40 G80 G90 G94 G98
( ROUGH FIRST PASS )
N40 T39 M06 (T39 - 4.00" FINISH FACE MILL)
N45 S3820 M03 (TM 3.0)
N50 G54
N55 G00 X20. Y-6.7
N60 G43 H39 Z1.
N65 (ROUGH_PASS)
N70 Z0.1
N75 G01 Z0.01 F95.
N80 G01 X-20. F55.
N85 Y-2.825 F100.
N90 G01 X20. F55.
N95 Y2.825 F100.
N100 G01 X-20. F55.
N105 Y6.7 F100.
N110 G01 X20. F55.
N115 G00 Z3.

C Ya

Mohawk
is this the actual programming for the fork brace? if so, can you email me a copy. i can forward it to a buddy and see if he can do it. [email protected]

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

No guys that wasn't the part.

Just an example of a G Code Program for you to see how easy it would be to Copy and paste for you to use.

I will whip it up tomorrow at work.

I will use the dimensions Wingednut gave us.

I was going to pull mine apart to double check dimensions as he said he had to file the locations a tad.

But I don't have time right now to pull mine apart.

It will be really simple to modify his dimension after the program is written though.

Ok C Ya L8tr

Mohawk

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Just to update what's happened with the brace pictured. It was sent USPS today to jbossman73. His was the first PM so it's his. I'm really looking forward to reading his observations about it.

The PMs and interest is appreciated but as I said in the OP, there really isn't an intention to make more. I can't afford to upgrade to CNC equipment and hand machining is a bit much time intensive to be profitable. So for those here with equipment to do it may have an opportunity to make a few bucks while saving a few for some GL1500 owners.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.