Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Will a fork brace for my GL1100 make any difference in low speed wobbling? Any insight by those who have installed them and what the before after verdict was is appreciated.

Regards

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

I will be happy to see responses to this question, too. My '86 1200GL has the front-end wobbles as well. The bike comes equipped from the factory with a fork brace. the Superbrace looks substantially similar. I cannot imagine swapping one out for the other could possibly make any difference but would be delighted to find out I'm wrong. Is there really a difference? A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks and spent on something that is essentially a minor cosmetic change is throwing money away, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

There have been a few discussions about this on the forums before. The general opinion seems to be that a brace makes no difference. Even if if did I think it's only at high speed where the forks flex from the stress.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

Actually another thing to look at is tire pressures and balancing.

I had a similar problem on my sabre and found out the tire was badly out of balance and tire pressures were too low...

After have the front replaced and tire pressures brought up to 32-35 PSI the problem stopped.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Low speed wobble is usually caused by tire cupping.. It may be very minimal, but that's really the only reason..

Another possible cause is a bent rim, poor tire balance, bent forks, loose steering stem bearings and worst of all,, bent frame...

Suspect the tire first.. If no cupping is found, suspect a slipped belt, or internal damage..

I've replaced many tires and it seems a good quality new one fixes the problem...:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Curt,

The GL 1200 stock brace is cast piece and is merely for looks while SuperBrace is CNC machined from 6061 T- 6 aircraft quality billet aluminum block.

In short, a fork brace with the correct psi, andnew head bearings will nearly eliminate the low speed wobble, vibration and dramatically increase the life of the front tire.

gl2005

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Wow! That's an amazing recommendation. Thank you much!

Curt

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I put one on my 1000 years ago, but it was the same time I added a sidecar, now that I don't have a sidecar on the bike, it was too long ago to remember if it changed anything

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Thanks,I am glad to be aboard. This is definately one most easy to use/ user friendly websites on the web.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
imported post

Hi GL2005 welcome :waving:

I wonder if there was some way to wedge the front wheel from moving andthen try to turn the handlebars to see if there was some flex. If there was, you should be able to determine if a fork brace could help. If it did, it would make me a nice weekend mill project.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

there always is going to be some flex in telescoping forks, it is just an inherent part of the geometry, the goal of a brace is to keep the two forks lowers moving in sync, the axle does this as well, but anything that can slide up and down has the possibilty of movement. When I had a side car that made it worse because you were REALLY steering, versus the counter-steering a solo bike does. the old earles forks which had fixed down tubes, and a fixed swing arm had really no flexion at all.

with wings as solo bikes though, most wobble is something other than fork flexion, tyre wear, steering head bearing wear, wore out springs, old fluid would be the places to look first..

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Been stated before, but I still am surprised that when the Goldwing was engineered and it was determined that those models which required a fork brace would be fitted with one, that they could have underestimated the mass of it by so much that some after market company( who may have no engineering background) could come up with a better engineered one than Honda. Long sentence but that is what I wonder.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

It's really more of a legal issue with patentsfor motorcycle manufactures not a matter of engineering. The after market companies have patents preventing themanufactures from engineeringtheir ownfork braces.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
Been stated before, but I still am surprised that when the Goldwing was engineered and it was determined that those models which required a fork brace would be fitted with one, that they could have underestimated the mass of it by so much that some after market company( who may have no engineering background) could come up with a better engineered one than Honda. Long sentence but that is what I wonder.
I had wondered the same thing. Besides that, even though the stock brace isn't solid, it is braced pretty well. I'd be willing to bet that the brace is just as strong structurally as the 4 small bolts that hold it.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
there always is going to be some flex in telescoping forks, it is just an inherent part of the geometry, the goal of a brace is to keep the two forks lowers moving in sync, the axle does this as well, but anything that can slide up and down has the possibilty of movement.
This is certainly true. I've got to say, though, of my three bikes - the GL1200, Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500 and BMW R1100RT - the Wing has far more flex than the others...and far more than any other bike I've ridden. It almost feels as though there is a rubber link somewhere between the handlebars and the wheel. I suspect the feeling is exascerbated by a relatively high profile tire compared to what I have on my BMW, but I'm just guessing.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

I have a 86 GL1200 and was experiencing a front end wobble in low speed turns like in a parking lot, I have new dunlop elete 3's on it , So I jumped of and bought a Super Brace, I just got it put on it is a lot beefer than the stock brace and it does go around the fork tubes more. I was not a 10 min job for me like the instructions said . But i got it on it fits tight . I went for a test ride of only a few miles so i cant give a good report yet. But on the country roads where i live it does seem to be more stable when i ride the ridges it seems to go straight and not wander, but like i said i need to do a more lengthy ride.. Larry

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I can not speak to replacing a factory brace with a aftermarket but I can and will say if you don't have one get one!! I have installed them on 2 1000's now and they make a huge difference!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.