Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What exactly is the purpose of the fork braces? (other than as the name implies)

What does the bracing do for you? Is this a problem with the 93 ASPY that I own?:?

Just curious if I need to consider these.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

it helps get rid of some of that rubbery feeling you get in the front forks. Especially on fast curves and slow maneuvering but only if everything else is kosher with the fork bushings, steering head bearings, wheel bearings, rear swing arm bearings, tire pressure, right tires, etc.

I have one on mine and it helps a good bit.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I also installed one on mine, I could tell the difference immediately. It was a lot more stable as Rudy mentioned in the curves and on slow maneuvers. It was worth the $75 in my book. Of course, I had already installed one on my 81, and learned how well it helped, so it was an easy decision to put one on the 93.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

I have one of these on my 1500,I think they are a worthwhile addition,but it is one of those items that you will notice an immediate difference then you will become accustomed to it (although of course the benefits are still there)

Regards Steve

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok, would this help with sudden lean when a crosswind is encountered or is this a different animal all together?

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I also agree with Rudy as I have installed a brace on every wing I have owned..

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

93Wing wrote:
Ok, would this help with sudden lean when a crosswind is encountered or is this a different animal all together?
Depending on what it is you are feeling. It should not make a big difference in side wind blasts. But it may make continued straight tracking a little easier.

To me, getting blown around is a whole bike thing.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

First crosswind I have been in with the bike, scared the bejusus out of me, 20-25 knot cw seemed worse blowing right to left than left to right. Getting used to it.......

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

93Wing wrote:
First crosswind I have been in with the bike, scared the bejusus out of me, 20-25 knot cw seemed worse blowing right to left than left to right. Getting used to it.......
Best way to deal with crosswinds is to relax and ride with them rather than fight them. The bike will automatically lean into them bringing you back once they subside.
It will scare ya some times though.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

My 1200 LTD has a fork brace that is about one inch thick, is this factory or aftermarket?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I think it helps some with the slow speed handling.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I'll second that. That was the biggest improvement I noticed.....low speed handling.

·
Premium Member
62,977 Posts
imported post

I think Rudy hit it with: it all depends on the feel you're looking for, rubbery or not..
I like the stability at very slow speeds, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the high speed turns.. To me, it took away the road feel on turns by stuffing the front more then I like.. But that's me.. If you install one, be sure it drops into place and you don't force it in..

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
I think Rudy hit it with: it all depends on the feel you're looking for, rubbery or not..
I like the stability at very slow speeds, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the high speed turns.. To me, it took away the road feel on turns by stuffing the front more then I like.. But that's me.. If you install one, be sure it drops into place and you don't force it in..
I think that the tires you have on makes a big difference in the curves at speed.

But having said that, the feeling I got before the brace was that if you hit any bumps, while in the curve, leaned over, the bike would feel like the middle of the frame was flexing. Afterward, not at all. Much more rigid.
Again all of the other parameters I mentioned in my first post make a huge difference there as well.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

What the fork brace actually does is adds torsional strength between the fork tubes.

Where you'll see the effect of this most is actually in high speed cornering.

For a quick demonstration, grab a gyroscope and get it spinning, place it between your fingertips, then try to change it's angle of attack similar to that of leaning your motorcycle wheel over in a turn.

Feel how it pushes your fingertips in different directions as the gyroscope resists changing it's angle? Your front wheel is a big gyroscope and will push your fork tubes different directions when you change it's angle of attack just like the toy tried to do to your fingers. What you'll "feel" on the bike is a washy, weakish almost have to push the bars harder to get the front wheel to respond appropriately feel.

Tie those fork tubes together with a large chunk of metal, and it won't allow the tubes to be pushed different directions, giving you more positive control over the angle of the front tire. When you push lightly on the bars, the tubes will push that tire over faster and easier because there is no longer any flex between the axle and the steering head.

The fork brace will do nothing whatsoever for the famous Goldwing "wobble"...The only thing that will fix that is good tires, properly mounted and balanced, AND properly aligned with the frame, coupled with properly torqued steering head bearings.

As for getting pushed around in crosswinds...that's just a part of motorcycling that we all get used to with additional miles under our belts.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Ok, now i have a better idea what's going on, makes perfect sense. By strengthening the forks they don't twist while cornering. On my bike where the front fender mounts there is a brace between the forks. Is this the fork brace we are talking about or is this just factory mounting hardware?
Where would you install a fork brace when you put on?

Thanks for all the comments, trying to understand and get used to this here Wing I have, love it so far.........

MDKramer, like the technical explanation, kinda geeky that way.........

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Ok, on the 1500, I am pretty certain there is a plastic housing that runs above the fender between the forks. If memory serves me correctly, there were some that did, and some that did not have a factory installed fork brace under this plastic housing.

I can't tell from your avatar picture, but it looks like you have the plastic housing, pull that and if there is solid metal from lower tube to lower tube, then you have a fork brace already.

I could be wrong, 1500's aren't my specialty.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Looked at it yesterday and it looks solid to me, but it was dark in the garage. I'll take a look at it later in the sun.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

He's all yours lad.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

the 1200 had factory fitted braces

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status