Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

where is a fork brace, or superbrace to be found? and do they really work to take out the wobble in the steering on a gl 1500?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I don't have any wobble experience, but I did install a SuperBrace. I had some tire cupping issues, and it resolved them. The brace goes where the front fender is attatched to the forks, under the plastic chrome fork protector. 4 little allen head bolts. Don't remove them all at once! If you do, a tin plate falls out fron beneath the fender, and you gotta remove the wheel then to re-install it. The different brace kits have a couple temporary long threaded rods to hold that plate in position for the new bolts. I noticed a much stiffer front end. (trike) jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

Much improved low speed handling and a more stable front end feeling in twisty conditions.
Install, then ride it around and come back and tighten all the bolts again.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the bearings in your stearing? They may be worn, or just need adjusted.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

I don't know if a brace cures a wobble caused by say bad steering bearings. What a brace does is firm the front end up, especially in bends and hard riding.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

Retired Guy wrote:
Much improved low speed handling and a more stable front end feeling in twisty conditions.
Install, then ride it around and come back and tighten all the bolts again.
+1. Much less wallowing from the front end when riding twisty roads.

·
Premium Member
63,038 Posts
imported post

I hadmy fork braceon and off a couple times.. Couldn't tell the difference..

Save your money and put it toward front springs.. Heavier fork springs make a bigger difference..

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:

Save your money and put it toward front springs.. Heavier fork springs make a bigger difference..

I agree

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Put one on my 1200 and no more wobble and drops into curves nicely.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:

Spot on , put the money into something else , make sure your REAR tyre is not out of round ,as this will cause a wibble in the front ,,

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

A brace does help, but you should first make sure your fork oil is fresh. Old fork oil is the main cause of front end problems.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I installed a Blackwing, it was cheaper and seems to be a better design. I noticed a differce.

I modified an 1100 one for my 1000, and that stopped the problems I had been chasing.

Bill

·
Premium Member
233 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

got a superbrace for $50.00...took about 5 minutes to install. i am pleased to say, the low speed wobble is gone!! i practice low speed turns in a parking lot occasionally, and i noticed on a very tight low speed turn, while accelerating out of it, my bike would wobble pretty bad (such as a u-turn on a narrow side street). that is gone completely. i often practice figure 8`s and it really made a big difference. i can whip out a figure 8 in 4 parking spaces...this is far easier to do when you are not fighting noodle forks. i am pleased with my results of this product!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I've often wondered about the chrome front fender trim found on the older goldies. It fits round the very front of the fender and attaches to the fork legs. I've removed mine as it rubbed the paint off the front fender but I noticed when I tried to bend it it was very stiff. As it attaches in a similar way does it do the same job? I admit not as well.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

The 83 to 87 had a stock fork brace, I have no idea why Honda dropped the idea.:?

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

I installed a Blackwing brace. Steering head bearings, oil and springs having been changed two years ago (Oil being done again this coming winter).

I noticed an immediate improvement in low speed turns (Car park stuff). Plus it feels much more stable at high speeds.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

lordbradley71 wrote:
got a superbrace for $50.00...took about 5 minutes to install. i am pleased to say, the low speed wobble is gone!! i practice low speed turns in a parking lot occasionally, and i noticed on a very tight low speed turn, while accelerating out of it, my bike would wobble pretty bad (such as a u-turn on a narrow side street). that is gone completely. i often practice figure 8`s and it really made a big difference. i can whip out a figure 8 in 4 parking spaces...this is far easier to do when you are not fighting noodle forks. i am pleased with my results of this product!
I for one am glad to here that fella, I just paid 80 bucks for one and am expecting it soon in the mail.

I have a question though, what is tire cupping? Hey, maybe I'll find out when it isn't there anymore.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
imported post

The Blackwing is a better design and your chrome piece is not raised 1/8" like the super brace. Screws are Flat head with countersunk holes that act like dowels pins. The Super Brace use Soc. Head Cap Screws with clearance counterbored holes that allow movement. Only problem the quy is not selling on EBay just now. I will look for my receipt to try to contact him directly. If I remember it was about $35.00

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.