Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

This is an idea I came up with when I changed the oil on my forks on my 85 1200 Aspy Conned a buddy to come over and give me a hand to reassemble and we couldn't get the cap lined up right so we put this together. Is just some 3/4 pipe fittings that i had laying around.

Attachments

·
2,486 Posts
imported post

I've always just marked the place where the threads start to mesh with a Sharpie, on the cap and the fork tube...that way as soon as you line up the marks you can compress the spring, and just a slight turn gets the pressure off YOU! I never found it very hard to compress the spring, but fighting to get the thread started while holding the pressure is tough. Marking that point solves the problem.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

I took a 1/2 drive socket that I had to install vacuum switches on car engines. It has 1 side with a deep slot to have room for the hose connections. I cut a slot in the other side of the socket so it it will fit snugly over the raised portion of the cap and it will clear the air hose connection. The opening edge of the socket pushes down on the cap.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
imported post

I took a short 3/8 drive extension, cut off the socket end and ground it to fit in the chuck of my cordless drill. With a socket to fit the cap I can push the spring down and turn the cap at the same time, no ratcheting! It has worked like a charm several times.:action:

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Right on. Some real neat tricks.That is why I like this site so much. Everybody sharing their ideas and "neat little tricks" Makes life much easier for the rest of us.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
imported post

I too love to see the tricks people use to make things work.

Awesome idea and a cool tool made from what you had onhand.

I liked Scooters trick too.

We in the Tribe of Wingers call it.....

Injun___Newity

:dude::dude::dude:

Thanks Guys.

Mohawk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.