Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? Long time motorcyclist but new Goldwing owners here. I just installed some Progressive shocks and thinking about installing their fork springs today.

Lots of great info on here but even with my owners and shop manuals; determining the type of fork cap I have and its removal is still very vague.

The cap looks pretty flush with the top of the tube and shows no sign of having an air nipple. Looks like it could only be pried out but I'm afraid if not I might damage something.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Jim

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
Hello Jim and Welcome to the forum . I believe the Aspencade has air assist on the front forks ,if so the plastic cap should unscrew from the schrader vavle stem . This type cap would be about a 1/4 inch thick and knurled around the edge. The forks without air assist also have a cap which just plugs into the fork cap . gently pry it up . a thin screw driver or knive blade should lift it easily . Under this type cap you will need a 17mm allen wrench to remove the fork cap .
If removing the fork cap ,put bike on center stand . place jack under the engine to lift the front wheel and support the weight of the bike . be extremely careful as when you remove the cap the spring will be exerting a good deal of ofrce . dont want to have your face/teeth over it and the spring fly out .
There are post here about doing the front forks . I'll try and get back here with a link . Here is one link with a how to build tool for spring removal . : Another Fork Spring Tool - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums
Also I think there is a fellow with a couple pair of progressive springs for sale in the For sale forum , if needing a lead .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!! Looked again in daylight and saw my first feeble attempt with a screw driver was in the wrong place and the rubber cap just now popped out with a flick of my fingernail. So no schrader valve. :( So looks like I'll be machining one or a plug in.

Thanks for the link as I had not seen that one. Have def put in fork springs but not in a 900lb motorcycle!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for my delayed reply and thanks for the Schrader valve info! They look better than the ones at Mc Master Carr. But hope to find them in town in an attempt to do them before this weekend. Not sure I'll have the time to build an elaborate spring removal in time to have this done by the weekend so may try a ratcheting tie-down method I saw on here or somewhere. Unless someone wants to let me borrow one!

Man what a different the new Progressive shocks make! You don't realize how bad the old shocks can make a bike handle until after putting them on!

Rebuilding the forks and greasing/tightening the steering head bearings should have this thing handling better than new!

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I think I may just spend this week getting everything together and getting my how-to plans organised and start the job on Monday. That way I'll have less of a chance of missing out on a riding weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.