Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone give me a clue on how to tighten and torque allen bolt for damper rod on my 1200? I put spring in temp. like instructions say but rod keeps turning on me. Much appreciated again guys.That would be the bolt on front forks

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

With the spring out, put a long bar or wooden rod down the tube and get someone to push it against the damper while you tighten the bolt. This worked for me more times than I can remember and it also works when you are trying to loosen the bolt and the whole rod keeps turning.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

I use an air driver

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

Pardon my ignorance, but how does an impact driver get the bolt tightened and correct the spinning?

I am about to do my forks this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Conley wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but how does an impact driver get the bolt tightened and correct the spinning?

I am about to do my forks this weekend.
I'm certainly no Physicist, but I think it has to do with "inertia" or something. You know, where the impact wrench starts spinning instantly, while the inner mechanism has a tendency to remain at rest? It don't work very well if there are thread distortion problems, or if someone got any thread locking goop on them.

Wingnut's suggestion can be very helpful, too. I bought a 3 foot length of larger diameter wood dowel (~7/8" dia.) just for these types of access/reach problems.

Of course, there may not even be a problem. When I did mine, both of those screws came out freely and back in nicely by hand. There is a crush washer on them. sometimes it comes out with the bolt, sometimes it stays in the hole. Ensure it is in good condition. Once the bolt is tightened snug, there should be no problem torquing it, if you have means to torque on an 'Allen Head'...:waving:

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

I had an old hollow metal broom handle that had a plastic head for attaching to the broom head. I bent the handle in a 90 degree angle at the end so I could stand on it. I turned the fork upside down, and put the other side with the plastic piece into the fork. It wasn't pretty but it provided enough resistance to keep the inside tube from spinning so I could tighten the bolt with an allen wrench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.