Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fork Fluid GL1100

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr. C 
#1 ·
imported post

Alright, changed one of my fork seals an got it back together an am ready to put the fluid back in, went through the fork seal tulorial an one gentleman said that he put a bolt in the air inlet on the top cap an put the fluid in the bottom, now I don't have a small enough fine treaded bolt to fit the air inlet, can I just pour the fluid down the fork tube then put the springs in an then put the top cap back on. :?

This is my first time doing this, so it's best to ask someone that knows.

Thanks.

Mr. C

#3 ·
imported post

Yes, you can do it that way. It might be easier however if you were able to put the forks in a vice or on the floor for leverage while trying to get the screw caps back on.

I was able to drill a hole in the cap and tap it to an 1/8" pipe thread and put a plug in it so I can drain and refill fork oil more frequently..... and easier.

#4 ·
imported post

Hey Mr. C,

I am just trying to get a better picture of the work you have done so I can help you out...

1) Did you remove the forks to do the work?

2) Are they back on the bike?

Normally, you don't have to remove the end caps and springs to replace the fork seals. That's why I was asking. Many people have many ways of doing it. I just did my fork seals this spring and I used a shop vac fill my forks. You can fill each fork in about 45 - 60 seconds. No Fuss, no muss.

Here's how:

1) Pre measure the amount of fork oil you will need and use a syringe to apply it. This syringe is the type that you use to measure oil for a gas/oil mixture for 2 stroke engines. Handy thing to have. $1.00 at the dollar store.

Attachments

#5 ·
imported post

2) I hooked my shop vac up to the main fitting for the air supply for the forks. This is where the compressor fits if you have an Aspencade. If you have the regular air fittings, you may have to use something else to hook up to you vac or remove the Schrader valve for this step.

Make sure that one of the two fork drain bolts are in place. It does not have to be tight. Hand tight is fine as you want all the air sucking at the point where your filling the fork.

Attachments

#6 ·
imported post

3) Start injecting the fork oil into the drain hole at an angle allowing the fork oil and air to be drawn into the fork. The vacuum will carry it into the fork as fast as you can release it. It cannot be sucked into the shop vac. You could leave the shop vac their all day and nothing makes it all the way up top through the spring windings.

When your proper amount is in the fork, install the bolt and then turn off the vac. Snug the bolt up and then get ready to do the other side.

Really, under a minute.

Tim.

Attachments

#7 ·
imported post

Mr. Magic Fingers, first thing I did was took the top cap off then pulled the springs then drained the fork, loosened the pinch bolts then pulled the fork out, then took it apart an changed the seal, the fork is ready to go back in place, then I will pour the fluid down the tube put the springs in, then say a few Hail Marys an see if I can get the top cap on, but I'll have to wait till tomorrow gottatake some stuff to the mother inlaws.

Thanks everyone.

Mr.C

#8 ·
imported post

Hey Mr. C,

Just so you know, and not to rub it in, you didn't have to remove the forks or remove the springs to replace the seals. They can be done quite easily on the bike. I personally think more easily than removing them.

Might I suggest, if you don't have them now, a set of progressive front springs?

You have 98% of the work done right now. You simply insert the new springs in place of the old 2 piece ones and continue on with capping them.

They are less than $130 Canadian and can be gotten quickly. Got mine from my local Honda shop in 3 days. Once you use them you will be amazed. It was one of the most noticeable improvements I made to my bike. Worth the money at 3 times the price!

Here's my install:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/94223.html

Good Luck!

Tim.

#9 ·
imported post

Mr. Magic Fingers I will keep the progressive springs in mind, starting to get in the latter part of riding up here an my to-do list doesn't have to many checks on it, so I'am not to sure how much moreriding I'am going to get in this year.

I checked out your install on the springs, really like the shovel handle idea, wish I had of seen it before, my first an second attemp at putting the top cap on didn't work, so I removed the handle bars an lowered them down a few inches so I could hold the cap down with my left hand an then reach in with the wrench an give it a turn.

I'am on rain delay sense yesterday:watching: to take the bike for a ride to see if all is well.

Mr. C

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.