Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BigDogDaddeeoh
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While in the process of reassembling the forks after cleaning I encountered a problem with the second one. Thought I was doing great when the first one went back together just as described in the manual. But while trying to seat the bushing and the oil seal into the slider, they didn't go down far enough to put in the circlip. So I thought maybe I'd done something wrong and thought I'd disassemble and start over. So I began to loosen the allen bolt. Because it had thread lock on it, it was tough - but then it came loose. HOWEVER, it turned the whole tube. So I grabbed the tube with my hand and still the allen wrench continued to spin. As the spring inside rattled, I realized there was nothing holding the damper into which the allen bolt had been screwed. I gave up on disassembly and went to pounding the bushing and oil seal a little harder with my homemade PVC tool. Finally they seated correctly and I was able to get the circlip in. Still the allen bolt is able to spin. Though I don't think it will come out - I don't understand how I was able to get the bolt out in the first place with nothing to keep it from spinning inside there. And even if all is well, what will happen next time the seals need changed? Then I began to wonder if something else is wrong - so I'm holding off on putting the wheel back on the bike until I can get some good insight. Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I usually loosen those bolts first thing with the wheel still on and the front on the ground. This gives the spring tension and helps hold the inner tube.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
imported post

You have to get the bolt tight or the oil will leak out around it. I would not have use loctite on that, makes it too hard to remove. What you can do is jam a wooden broom handle down in the fork tube to hold the damper piston in place.

·
BigDogDaddeeoh
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

hmm
not sure I'm communicating well
The bolt I'm referring to is only accessible after removing the axle holder - four sets of nuts and washers - and the axle (therefore the wheel itself.

·
BigDogDaddeeoh
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

OK the broom handle makes sense. I'll try that. Locktite was in the instructions - but you're right - it made them hard to get out and consequently had to be replaced - because they wer chewed up from PO's previous seal replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

mobiewan wrote:
hmm
not sure I'm communicating well
The bolt I'm referring to is only accessible after removing the axle holder - four sets of nuts and washers - and the axle (therefore the wheel itself.
Yup, sorry, my fault, you can't do it with the wheel on. Not sure what I was thinking. Although I do remember taking the bolt out with the forks still in the triple trees and the fork caps on. One bolt stripped out and I did have to remove the fork leg and drill that one out.

·
BigDogDaddeeoh
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Dave 4030,
The broom handle worked with no small difficulty. Even used a short pipe clamp to hold the broom hand in hard enough. Loosened and removed the bolt and cleaned off the locktite and re-installed. Now it's all back together - hope I don't have to do that again any time soon. It's like being in a bad movie wrestling with that spring and cap bolt. I finally bungi corded the whole thing to a 3 foot long pipe clamp - much better than having my wife help me compress the spring while I try to get the threads started. Believe it or not we were able to get one - but try as we might - we couldn't get the second one - so that's when the pipe clamp idea came in. With the front wheel on, I'm almost ready to re-install the motor.

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
imported post

Must have been some pretty good loctite and plenty of it. Live and learn huh? Good job being persistent and getting it done. Also thanks for posting that you have it taken care of. Many have came along needing help and when they get it they are gone for good and we never know what happened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.