Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anybody know if the front forks from an 86 Interstate will fit the Aspencade?

I rode last week 40-45 degrees and noticed that the left fork was leaking on the brake. The PO said that the forks had been rebuilt each of the past 2 years. Is this normal? I would think that the seals would last longer than that.

Is it possible that the forks have internal damage and would it be better to change them out with a good used pair?

Thanks for your input,
Scott

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

Yes the forks are interchangeable. In fact any fork from a 1200 should work.2 years sounds a little short on a seal life, but a lot would depend on how the bike was ridden and how much air pressure used in the forks. Too much air could blow a new seal instantly. It could also have bad bushings and the slop is causing the leak.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Would it be worth the extra $75 to go ahead and put progressive springs if/when I rebuild them? Is there anything special that needs to be done? or do the springs just slide inside while they are apart?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Install the Progressive springs while you have the caps off while doing the new seal installs. I'd also highly recommend you install new slider bushings, uppers and lowers. Worn bushings will cause seal failure a lot sooner if not replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Of course, maybe the guy really doesn't remember when the fork seals were done, maybe more than two years.

Good idea about the progressive springs.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank you for all your input. It looks like I have been talked into rebuilding the forks complete with new bushings, seals and progressive springs.
Now if only it would get above freezing for a couple of days...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.