Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks I did rebuild on my forks bushing ,seals.And put a traxxion spring on big difference. Had 50,000 miles on the forks and bushing were pretty bad.
But anyway I been fighting a small oil weep and am thinking I will have to try putting some new seals in thinking maybe I messed the first new seals up .But then I came across this www.SealMate.net Thought I would give this a try .I got the seal mate .Cleaned the fork tubes up slide the dust seals up and ran the sealmate around the dust seals got some crab from them .Took shop towel cleaned up above the oil seal and did get a little stuff.I was going to clean these oil seals up to with the sealmate but I seem to be having a problem getting the sealmateto go down in so I give up..These were all balls oil seals and did seem to be tighter fit then OEM ones were .So I just took some WD40 and spray the heck out of the top of the oil seals to the point where it pooled in the top of the seals...Then I bounced the bike up and down a 6 to 8 times clean the the forks up .I did same thing again and cleaned up ..Now my forks been dry thank goodness
But the moral of the this story I put the seals in with a 1 1/2 PVC coupler and 2 in PVC above the forks to pound them in .I think with doing it this way some how I came some junk in my seals ..So next time this boy going to get a 45mm seal driver .That just me .
But then I found out after wards a independent bike shop said I could borrow his

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
The shade tree mechanic who introduced me to this :

http://www.riskracing.com/pages/Seal_Doctor_Page.html

pointed out that 95% of seal failures are merely dirt or bugs under the seal.

The Seal doctor just snaps on , and you rotate , so its perfectly aligned, and easier to use ...
( but twice the price .) It fixed my leak in a flash . ....see the imbedded video .

The bottom line is that fork booties , even on a pavement riding Wing are probably a good idea.

SilverDave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On
The shade tree mechanic who introduced me to this :

http://www.riskracing.com/pages/Seal_Doctor_Page.html

pointed out that 95% of seal failures are merely dirt or bugs under the seal.

The Seal doctor just snaps on , and you rotate , so its perfectly aligned, and easier to use ...
( but twice the price .) It fixed my leak in a flash . ....see the imbedded video .

The bottom line is that fork booties , even on a pavement riding Wing are probably a good idea.

SilverDave
I can see where that would work a whole lot easier. I have one ordered Thanks
I am going to have that doctor in the picture come with it and show me how to do it.:grin3:
I just went on amazon under seal doctor. And you can one just a little over 12 dollars. Have to wait awhile to get .But I ordered one

·
Administrator
21,902 Posts
We used to use a strip of 35mm film.

Digital seems to be different. I put some images on a CD and forced it down between the seal and slider, but oddly, it has made the leak a lot worse. :baffling:

Anybody know where I can buy some film?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We used to use a strip of 35mm film.

Digital seems to be different. I put some images on a CD and forced it down between the seal and slider, but oddly, it has made the leak a lot worse. :baffling:

Anybody know where I can buy some film?
Why not just get a seal doctor and make life easy

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
I make my sealmate out of any thin plastic like water bottle, milk bottle etc...even a coke can works but metal can be too sharp...but real reason for the post..squirting wd40 at the seals will swell them for a time making them seal better but it will fade.. any petroleum product will do that. Also softens the rubber.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.