Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All

I just bought a 1988 1500 GW. Im going through the bike and looking at the manuals. I would like to change the fork oil. Do I have to pull the tubes out of the bike or is there a drain?

Thanks

Bull463

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

NO, but it depends on how thorough you want to be. first I'd clean off the fork tubes and ride it for a week..any oil sludge appearing on the tubes ='s you need new seals.

Draining the fork oil w/o a rebuild means you'll get 90% of the oil out. If you flush the tubes with a solvent you can get more of the sludge out but then have to flush with clean oil at least once to remove solvent. I assume your bike is down for the winter..good time to rebuild forks???

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

Agree with dennis.

Leave forks in place, flush out any crud and refill with new oil.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Hey Bull -- welcome on here :)

Drain is presented above (quite well indeed) - you'll find a soft-coper washer under that drain bolt to act as a seal.

On your '88, you'll end-up pulling the fork caps anyway to get to a point where you can refill the tubes (unless you wanna figure some way to pressurize your replacement oil up through the drain hole).

You won't need to pull the fork or tubes, just be sure that you've got the forks fully extended and have a good plan to catch and reinstall the fork-cap against the spring pressure. (pulling the fork caps will require a 17mm allen, after you've loosened the top tube clamps on the triple-tree).

If ya wanna, you can flush the forks with DextronIII ATF, which offers an excellent detergent package with good dispersants (also the 'fork fluid' specified for the early bikes)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.