Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I read a few real good posts about the fork oil change/fill procedure on the 1500.....as well as the brake bleed procedure.

I can't seem to find the ones I read previously.
:?

Thanks in advance friends,

RED

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks agnogel.......but that one is for fork removal. Just changing the oil today friend.

RED

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes.... this was one of the ones I read and found helpful.

Thank you,

RED

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I guess I forgot the syringe for the forks..........

Any suggestions as to were I could run out and get one? I need to go to Home depot anyway for some tubing for the speed bleeders. Perhaps I might stumble on something there.

RED

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Don't know where the brake bleed one is but what I do is bleed the front first. You use a small brake bottle bleeder about 9.00 at a parts store. This doesn't allow air to go back into the lines (a very useful item). Then once the front is done you remove the small black rubber hole filler in your left rear Saddlebag and using the same bottle you bleed the rear brakes. Once you are satisfied you again move to the front brake open the valve and bleed for air then(here comes the weird part) you put something heavy on the rear pedal I use a sledge hammer and leave it for 3 or 4 hours. The front brake has a lot more tubing to go through so air can get trapped in those lines. This allows the air to work it's way out I actually left mine overnight in the morning trapped in the hose line was two good sized air bubbles. I then pumped the brakes twice and tightened the valve back up and the brakes have just been really great ever since.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Pirate or the advice on the brakes.

Fortunately I have the speed bleeders that will allow me to change out all the fluid with ease. There's a little ball and spring mechanism that will not allow air back into the caliper.

I was wondering how to get at the rear.....

RED

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

You can usually beg a large plastic syringe off of a large animal veterinarian. They throw them out every day.

That is a veterinarian that works on large (farm) animals not a veterinarian that is large.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

[line]
I had remembered reading about the vet.......

The lady looked at me like I was a junky when I asked her about it yesterday. LOL After some begging she ponied up......this tiny bugger. I ordered a nice one on-line......but that don't help me now.
I'm off to the 24hour pharmacist.......
RED

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Well no luck at the pharmacy. (another tiny one that hold 2 teaspoons) I guess I dropped the ball preparing for this to do on my vacation. Using one of these little buggers would be like emptying out a swimming pool with a bucket.

I guess I could come up with something to do the fill that was faster.......then use the little bugger to remove the slight overfill. I wanted to flush it out real good as well......and I need to get the fluid in there faster then with this thing.

RED

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

Find out who in your area carries Turkey fryers. The'll also have supplies for injecting marinade which includes a HUGE syringe. I've found them at the big box stores by the grills and in a few grocery stores in a variety of locations.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Finally..........after searching now for a turkey injector I found one in the strangest of places. Bass pro shops? Who would have thunk it.

Deluxe Marinade Injector

I opted for the 10.00 one......even though they had one for 5.00. I will be injecting with style thank you after all this darn searching for the silly thing.

Thanks again for the tip,

RED

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
imported post

use the small syringe to remove brake and clutch fluid from your mc's

Hope your injector works well.

You may be able to talk to some medics in your area...If you came by my firehouse asking for a big syringe to work on your bike, I'd hook you up with all you needed.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

[line]
Now there we have it. Just in time after a rainy start this morning. This one is the Cadillac. It should make quick work of it. No markings......but I shouldn't need them as I will be measuring from the fork nut with the hose length anyway.

I have placed a beer for reference.......
It's five o'clock somewhere right? Besides I'm on vacation and I can do whatever I want.
:ssshh:

RED

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Hey man this things like it's made just for this job! It could not be more perfect! No leaks no fuss and makes quick work of getting the ATF in the forks. The needle is dead perfect and fits right in the shrader hole. I would recommend this bugger to anyone. No need for even a hunk of hose for this part of the job......and one can be put the hose on the needle for the "suck part" later on. I thought I might share this while I have the system filled for another drain session to flush her out. I just hope the ATF don't wreck it on me. I will clean it out when I'm done in hopes to preserve it till next year. Darn thing comes all apart and everything. Oh great turkey injector suggester.........Thanks a million friend, RED
[line]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.