Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

changing front springs and seal on my 83 aspy. progessive recommends 20 w oil. do i really need that thick or would 15w be good enough? :Dan idiot at a local bike shop (wont say which one) told me to mix 15w and 5w! he got mad when i laughed at him. he was serious!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:scary

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

In the instance of fork oil you can mix it if you choose to, don't know why you would but the difference in 5w to 30w versus atf is significant but is not huge. changing the progressive springs is huge. remember, the fork oil is the shock oil and all the shock does is dampen the springs to keep them from bouncing,

Take a shot at what you think will work-I"d try the 20w that progressive advises, and use the drain & refill with the syringe method if you want try something else. But the change of fork oil is a tuning preference compared to the spring change.

:headbanger:

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

im having trouble finding 20w locally. the guy told me that mixing 15w and 5w would make 20w! thats what i found funny..anyway going try to find 20w if at all possible but 5w, 10w and 15w is all i have found so far without going to the net.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

15W +5W = 20W Now that's FUNNY, I don't care who you are, that's funny.

:dude:

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

I checked my flash cards this morning: 15+5 does=20:cheeky1::gunhead:
Duh! :baffled:Oil weight another story. I do think that if you mix a quart of 15W oil with a quart of 5W oil you would have somethingnear 10W. We found, locally, 20W oil at a small shop that works on motorcycles. Dealers in the area did not stock it. 20W oil is available, just look for it. :bat:
I recommend, as Progressive instructions state, the 20W for the dampening of the springs.:)

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

ok after searching twelve shops (two saying they had it then"o we are fresh out") i finally found it. $17 dollars later i can start to put it back together. thx for the input. kinda thought everyone would like the mix the 15w and 5w thing

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Actually he was pretty close to the mark, I'm running 10W oil in my 1500s forks with Progressive springs. 15W + 5W mixed 50/50 would be close to 10W. I think you'll find 20W a bit stiff. Most seem to use 15W or ATF which is pretty close to 15W.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

exavid wrote:
Actually he was pretty close to the mark, I'm running 10W oil in my 1500s forks with Progressive springs. 15W + 5W mixed 50/50 would be 10W. I think you'll find 20W a bit stiff. Most seem to use 15W or ATF which is pretty close to 15W.
thats what i was wondering...if 15w would be the better choice. progressive recommends using "fork oil viscosity as noted in your owners manual with the following exceptions: gl1100 20 weight, gl1200/1500 15weight required." 20w seems thick to me but since i have some i guess im going to try it out

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i used 20W on my 1200 and feels good really soft actually with the anti dive setting at 2 you cant feel any vibration on the handlebars. for a heavy bike if you use light weigh oil it may bottom a lot.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

ok thx william. 20w it is. going out to the garage to start right now.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

In the end it doesn't matter, you can try out various viscosities and see which gives the handling you like best.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

noobrider1,

That seems funny to me also. 5 wt is much thinner, and If I were you, I would go with the straight 15 wt if you cannot find any 20 weight.

Good Luck!

Nightrider1

noobrider1 wrote:
im having trouble finding 20w locally. the guy told me that mixing 15w and 5w would make 20w! thats what i found funny..anyway going try to find 20w if at all possible but 5w, 10w and 15w is all i have found so far without going to the net.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

the bad thing was that he honestly thought that mixing 15 weight and 5 weight together would make 20 weight. he agrued with me for a few minutes and said "I've been a mechanic longer then you've been alive". i had my three kids with me and i was getting annoyed so i just left....this guy works on peoples bikes!!!!:gunhead:THAT IS SCARY

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I use 10 weight in my older wing with the stock springs.

One tip that I've always used on changing fork oil in motorcycles is that if the quantity calls for 6 oz than I add 5 ounces of the oil and 1 oz of a auto transmission conditioner to bring the total to 6 oz.

This helps keep the seals soft and I've had really good luck with this combination curing slight weeping problems on older bikes.

For forks you can use either a fork oil ( comes in 10 or 20 weight ) or a 10 or 20 weight non foaming motor oil. These are straight grade oils that you can usually find in any good auto parts stores.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

i cant find a spec on oil amount for the 83. ive downloaded the repair manual and ive found nothing. progressive recommends 5.5 inches from the top of the fork tube to the top of the oil....should i go with this?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

nevermind not being able to find the spec....:gunhead:gotta be smarter then the manual i guess:gunhead:adding that amount would put me over maximum oil level that the new springs want....thanx again for the info

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.