Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Manual says to use ATF in fork. What do they mean by ATF? Do they mean Type F, Type CJ, Mercon (if so I or II), Dexron (if so which number) or Chrysler 7176 (if so what letter)?

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Most ATF oils are around 12-15 weight and are very acceptable as fork oil. If you want to go lighter the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF is around 7.5 weight. The ATF work fine as the fork seals are very similar to transmission seals. You can use standard motor oil in a pinch but I would only do so if I had bad leaks.

Personally I use synthetic 10wt fork oil made by Rock Oil.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

the hydrlic oil that i use is 15 weight. this is why it's only farm and tractor.
but what would i know i'm still breast feeding!

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

I also use tractor hydraulic oil. New Holland 134

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys. I cannot believe 4 replies in 1-1/2 hours. I was expecting about 4 days to get just one.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

how funny...i saturday i stared at all the atf fluid at the local carquest during my rebuild/progressive spring install.

the guy must have seen the look on my face. all those added letters and numbers was truly confusing.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

OK don't forget I'm a newbie and this may be a dumb question but what does the tractor oil do for the suspension. Does it make it stiffer and not dive when braking.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Fork oil viscosity doesn't do much for diving under heavy braking, because the weight transfer lasts long enough for the most any weight oil to flow through the fork dampers. . Heavier weight oil makes for a harder ride, lighter oil for a softer response. Stronger springs will reduce diving somewhat at the expense of a harder ride. I've had Progressive springs in three of my 'Wings, an 1100, 1200 and my 1500. I like the improved handling especially in the twisties.

Diving control is available in the later model 'Wings but the early models didn't have any way of adjusting dive response.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

i have 2 spring's in my gl1100 one long one and 1 short one
lot's of tension, threw my back out 2 yrs trying to change oil with them on the bike ended up in hospial for 2 day's
this time i took them of the bike so much easier. and i'm still walking around no pain....

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

When i changed the juice on my '82, I wen't to the auto parts store and grabbed the $1.99 qt of Mercon 2 I believe it was.Drained out the old and in with the new.It's not rocket science, but E still ='s mc2.Or is that cubed?.,,,,

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Anything is better than the factory fish oil. Same with those springs. Progressive has been around for years and for around $50 does a great job on the GL springs. I'd also change the headset bearing while the fork tubes are off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.