Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

All I need to know before I go buy it, is, will a liter of fork oil take care of both tubes.:? I forget:(

I just don't want to make two trips back to the bike store.

I put mine at a measured level from the top at 5.5", but just not sure if I can do that with 1 liter or 2

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'd say 1 liter ought to do both but buy 2 and have spare.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

You know I'm almost afraid to say this but at 17.99 a liter bottle I don't want the spare. Yep that is what the local bike shop is charging for Blue Ray Fork Oil 15w. Yes, I could have ordered it from Wingstuff, if I had thought of it at the time for I think 6.00 a quart/liter

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well then, I guess I just may as well bite the bullet and buy that other liter, ouch. :shock:

Thanks for the info Scott, at least I won't suddenly see I need it 90% of the way through.

·
Pwhoever
3,254 Posts
imported post

1200cc's would be way too much. I hope you didn't measure the 5.5" while the forks were fully extended because they are now overfilled. That measurement is for forks fully collapsed with the springs out and is the absolute maximum you would want to put in. The specified amount is 7.6" from the top with a fully compressed fork. IIRC for 93-00 the actual amount needed if you completely rebuild the forks is 377cc in the right fork and 372cc in the left. If you installed progressive springs, it is recommended that you reduce the amount slightly. I remember reading a previous thread that stated if the forks are still fully extended, if you check the level through the schrader valve, make sure that the level is more than 12.5 inches from the top on both sides and that should be about right.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
IIRC for 93-00 the actual amount needed if you completely rebuild the forks is 377cc in the right fork and 372cc in the left.

:cooler:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

OK, so your all wrong in one way or another, and your all right.:D (diplomacy)

I was asking about a 91 A (mine)- I finally checked my notes from the last time I did it and it is 5.5" from the top without the spring and fully collapsed (I may be confusing the 5.5" from the top with 5.5" of travel). And that is approx 325cc in the left and 320cc in the right and that is right form the shop manual.

NOW: I also said your also right, I forgot to mention I am replacing my 91 front end with a 94 front end. Can someone give me the specs for a 94 I from the manual:)

OH, and so far one liter will accomplish the end.

In actuality, all front end tubes and sliders (Goldwing)should be the same from 92 - 00. But oil amounts differ. Just in 91 an interstate would be 320cc in left and 330cc in right, but the measurement from the top stays the same.

What I need is correct measurement from top for a 94 I from the manual.

I found in my Progressive notes the measurement is 5.5" from the top to the oil level, but that is for a 91 So that answers the measurement frotm the top question but only for a 91.

·
Pwhoever
3,254 Posts
imported post

The progressive gave the same "MAX" amount for my 97 Aspencade. The instructions for the Progressive Springs are actually generic instructions to cover many models of motorcycles not just GL1500's http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdfs/forkSprings/3055.pdf The 5.5" from the top is just a precautionary statement. Quote from Progressive- "If your manual specifies an oil
level higher than 5.5"
(140mm) set the oil level
at 5.5" (140mm). (Oil
level is the distance
from the top of the
fork tube to the top of
the oil with the fork
completely collapsed
and the fork spring removed
see figure 1.)"
According to GL1500 manuals for 93-00, the level should be set at 7.6" from the top. This means that if you are setting the amount at 5.5" from the top, you are overfilling as the 5.5" doesn't apply to the GL1500's.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

That is the information that I needed. :clapper:Thank you 'pwhoever', got to ask you what that means someday.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.