Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

well today was the day, i preped the bike yesturday had it jacked up and the front tire off,

then this morning i picked up scottohio at the local airport, he flew in to teach me about rebuilding forks, the job went really well, and i think i could do it my self if i ever need to again scott was a great teacher, he took more pictures of the work then i did so when he gets home later i am sure he will be posting more pictures of the job

i can not thank scott enough, he took his whole day to come here and teach me about rebuilding forks.

i bought all the seals and bushing and progressive springs, turned out my lower bushing were in pretty good shape but we changed them any way, the real kicker was when we pulled out the springs there was progressive springs already in it, we did go ahead and use the new ones since they were here, once it was all back together scott took it for a quick spin, then it was back to the airport with some time to spare, the job went pretty fast, i did add about 8 pounds of air to the forks and i am very happy with the ride,

again i would like to thank scott for all he has done for me in teaching me to do this job my self if ever need me again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
imported post

Geez, the guy delivers bikes, makes maintenance house-calls/tutorials; and who knows what else. :clapper::clapper::clapper:WAY TO GO SCOTT...:clapper::clapper::clapper: :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

thats whats cool about this site. had a few members go out of their way to help me also.

way to go scott:clapper:

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

Anyone in TX want to come by my place this weekend? I am rebuilding mine. :action:

Trying to locate the bushings though. I will hopefully have them by Friday if I order them today. Seals and progressive springs are on the way and should be here tomorrow.
Free beer and pizza!:banana:

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

terry_208 wrote:
Did I read that correctly? FREE PIZZA?
Or for you out of staters, free Texas BBQ. Shiners are a must though.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

OK I have to ask. I am rebuilding my shocks & on re-assembly, trying to drive the seals back in, they are about 3/4s of the way in & the pvc pipe is now just sliding up the forks. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do you use1 or 2 hose clamps?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

ok, I never seen anything about hose clamps. Where do you use the hose clamps?

I am about to rebuild my forks this weekend. I plan on using the PVC pipe.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

tell ya what i made , i took 3 peices of 3in by maybe 5 in. by 3 quarter hard wood , took 2 of them and cut a half circle in the the same size of the fork tube , flip them over and put them on the fork tube for a good fit , then the bottom peice i drilled 2 holes for the bottom leg axle cap bolts , stacked them up and drilled all 3 peices for 2 peices of 3/8th threaded rod , used these peices of wood with the threaded rod and nuts and washers to make a press with 2 peices of pvc pipe maybe 3 in. long , i just pulled the lower leg instead of takeing the whole fork off bike , this press worked great putting the fork seals back in

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
imported post

I am willing to help out where I am able. I'm glad things went smoothly getting there and getting the job done. It is just one more adventure that I can add to my small but growing collection.

Here is a good picture of the pvc pipe in use. http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/68481.html

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

Conley wrote:
ok, I never seen anything about hose clamps. Where do you use the hose clamps?

I am about to rebuild my forks this weekend. I plan on using the PVC pipe.
I found a good location for a fork syringe. I have a feed store around the corner from my house. I can get a 60CC syringe for $.39US and a needle for the same. I can get a little tubing and I will have a good way to extract and fill the fork if the initial round has issues.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
imported post

andy_christy wrote:
OK I have to ask. I am rebuilding my shocks & on re-assembly, trying to drive the seals back in, they are about 3/4s of the way in & the pvc pipe is now just sliding up the forks. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Do you use1 or 2 hose clamps?
Make sure the inside of the lower tube is clean and has no burrs down to the shoulder. Lubricate the outside of the seal before inserting it into the tube.
The PVC should fit tightly with a small gap between the two halves to allow for a tight fit with either one clamp or two.
If I had known you were going to do yours, I could have helped you out. It's only about 2 hrs or so away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.