Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Seems to me that I read that you have to use less oil in a refill when progressive springs are installed, but I can't find it again (84 Aspy front forks) I seem to recall a measurement from the top someplace to the top of the oil with the spring removed. Can someone point me to the right info or help me.

Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Progressive calls for 140mm or 5 1/2" from the top of the oil to the top of the tube with the fork collapsed and the spring removed. They don't give a volume amount for that depth. It would be nice if someone installing Progressive springs would measure the volume of oil that gives the 140mm space.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdf/3055.pdf

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks, I will measure it carefully and post the volume when I am done.

Hawker22

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

I think what you might have read, somewhere  was ... "To use LESS AIR "   when you have Progressives  SilverDave /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You're right SilverDave, Progressive does recommend using 0psi for a start when using their springs. You'll also end up using a bit less oil too.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

Thank You, Senior Guru....(A compliment  ... WOW ... accepted !!) Silver/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

SilverDave wrote:
I think what you might have read, somewhere was ... "To use LESS AIR " when you have ProgressivesSilverDave/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif

No, it was less oil, due to the progressives being a bit beefier than the stock springs and taking up a bit more space.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

exavid wrote:
Progressive calls for 140mm or 5 1/2" from the top of the oil to the top of the tube with the fork collapsed and the spring removed. They don't give a volume amount for that depth. It would be nice if someone installing Progressive springs would measure the volume of oil that gives the 140mm space.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/pdf/3055.pdf

As promised, I will now supply the quantity of ATF fluid that is necessary to top up the forks of my bike to 140 mm or 5 1/2" from top of tube with springs removed and forks fully collapsed. This is with progressive springs going in.

The amount is 950 ml in each tube. That is with a drain and refill.

Hawker22

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

950 ml, are you sure?? not to question you too much, but when I did my progressives on my 85 LTD it only tool about 350 ml in each tube to get it to that level. were your tubes collapsed when you filled them? I just hate to see you blow out the valving due to having too high a level. BTW the book calls for 325 ml in each tube with stock springs

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

ScottInNV wrote:
950 ml, are you sure?? not to question you too much, but when I did my progressives on my 85 LTD it only tool about 350 ml in each tube to get it to that level. were your tubes collapsed when you filled them? I just hate to see you blow out the valving due to having too high a level. BTW the book calls for 325 ml in each tube with stock springs

Man, I am getting terrible. You SHOULD indeed question me. Where I got that number, I will never know. I put in 425 ml in each tube to bring it up to within 140 mm of the top of the tubes with them fully collapsed and the springs removed. The level can be below that, but that is the max, according to progressive. I poured it in the top and waited till all the air came out and measured carefully-both quantity and distance.

I was pondering that number while I drove out to get some DOT 4 brake fluid and realized that I had written garbage.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It might have been on the beer bottle!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
imported post

425 in each tube sounds more reasonable. I could probably fit more oil in mine, but I did nto want to deviate too much from the standard (325ml) or go over the prescribed level from progressive. when I get my new forks here next week, and have to redo it I will probably go with the 425 figure, as the forks seem underdamped, as if they have too much air in them ( I am running at 0 psi at the moment)

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

exavid wrote:
It might have been on the beer bottle!:cheeky1:

As a matter of fact, I did put a few in the cooler about that time, but they stayed there until around dinner time.

Makes you wonder though, about the stock and book recommended amount of 325 ml for drain and refill. They must be figuring on at least 7 1/2 " down from the top as that is where it was prior to draining, and I took out about 325 ml. So where did the "progressive springs will take a bit less oil " come from??????

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't know why it turned out that way, but the statement that it will take a little less came from Progressive.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

Latest info on progressives site says to use same oil volume as manufacturer recommends. Smells like a liability lawyer has been visiting the engineering dept. to me. Would take some time but someone could probably come up with a better number.

Bottom line - any oil level will leave a column of air on top of the oil. That air IS A SPRING, and is one of the tuning elements of the fork. Let's assume Honda did their homework and defined the volume of AIR appropriately. Here's what I would do:

Put the stock spring in the drained and upright compressed fork, add the Honda recommended volume, measure the oil level.

Remove spring, drain oil.

Put the Progressive spring in and add oil to get the same level as the stock spring. If I hadn't had a cold beverage by then I would NOTE the amt needed to get to that level and post it on this board. It will probably be a little less than stock because the progressive coils take up more space.

Just remember - getting the oil level right is REALLY all about getting the air space at the top right. You'll have plenty of oil for the damping mechanism at much lower levels - this is about the column of AIR.

Knowing that the progressive rates aren't too much different would allow me to feel ok with the Honda developed air space.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Bob, I think that you have it exactly correct. Although Progressive still state that measuring the level is preferred to measuring volume of oil-at least in the PDF link that Exavid provided above. The Honda provided volume of 323 ml gives an air space of approximately 7.5"-I measured prior to draining, and got out about that amount.

Having read the PDF document by Progressive about 7 times, it would appear that they are saying that if some manufacturersprescribe a volume of oil that would cause theairspace to beless than 140 mm, then, when adding progressive springs,do not raise the level to less that 140 mm due to those springs displacing slightly more oil. Hence, in that case, progressive springs require a bit less oil.

In any other case, such as the Goldwing, you can safely use the prescribed amount, and just forget the distance measurement.

I had no need to use 425 ml and will probably remove 100 ml., just to have the airspace correct. That should make a mess, trying to get the plug in with oil still coming out.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I have a question.........have read in other threads that the springs are sometimes slimmy(covered with gunk)when you remove them to drain the old oil. Naturally, you can clean the springs up, because they are out and easy to work with. But, how about the fork tubes? Is there anything a person can flush out the tubes with before re-assembly, and fill with fresh oil. Also ,does the 1 piece progressive spring replacethe 2 pcstock spring design?

Thank you...... your humble servant, Dancinbear.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.