Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took out my 86 aspencade out to work this morning about lunch time I went out to find fluid on my left caliper and brake rotor thought it was the caliper leaking but upon further inspection I found oil coming out of the left fork my question is since it was cold this morning around 15 to 20 degrees could this have affected the seal causing it to leak and once it warms up do you think it will reseal. the pistons look very good no pitting or rust. or do you think I am in for a seal replacement.

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
The cold could have been a factor but chances are you will need to replace the seals. It probably needs new oil in the forks anyway.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I'm guessing you need seals and Quick ! If that fluid gets into your speed sensor it'll be toast very quickly and they are getting harder and more expensive to get now.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,334 Posts
You can slow, or even stop the leak sometimes, by wrapping a small piece of cotton cloth around the fork tube, under the dust seal.
The technique has worked well for me when I sprung a leak on a long trip.
You'll still need to replace the seal, but at least you won't ruin the brake pads.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Check this site for a seal tool that cleans grit out of the seal area. I made one and it got me thru another year before replacing. Called a Sealmate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.