Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

All,

I need to replace a leaky left fork seal before I ride this spring. I have a factory shop manual and a Hayes manual and both show the operation with the fork tube removed from the triple-tree.

However, I have read that peoplereplace the seal with the fork tube still in place on the bike. That's what I'd like to do. The only thing I can’t figure out is how the heck to install the actual seal itself WITHOUT having the fork tube in the slider at the time. How to you use a seal driver without the fork tube in the slider to center the driver?

If you put the slider and driver onto the tube before driving the seal in, then how do you get the seal driver off of the tube once you're done? Do you pull the slider back off the fork tube, remove the driver, and then put the slider back onto the tube? If so, how can you do that without damaging the seal?

Color me confused! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Make a driver out of a piece of pvc pipe. I used one that was a coupler with a large lip on one end, take a hack saw and split it in half length-wise. This way once all parts are in place put the 2 halves in place, lock them together with some large hose clamps and then seat the seal.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hey Bagmaster,

Sounds like you've done this job before. Thanks for the split seal driver idea.

How far down into the slider does the seal actually sit? An inch or so, or farther than that?

PS) I'm ex-Navy as well. Vietnam era. Drove destroyers!

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Once you have gotten the front end disassembled enough to do the fork seals on the bike you are only 3 pinch bolts and a retaining ring away from sliding the fork tube out and using a solid seal driver. I thought about trying to do mine on the bike but the snap ring can be a real pain so I took mine out rebuilt it and slid the whole assembly back in the bike then put the oil back in the fork.

Good luck either way.

Cerfer

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

when i did mine i was very afraid of removing the fork tubes.. but its pretty easy, its not impossible to do it on the bike, its just harder and you can damage the seals. while seating them.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

The seals cannot be replaced without either removing the tube from the triple tree or removing the slider. I would remove the fork from the triple tree and do it right, it's only three bolts to lossen. Disassemble the fork and check the bushings while you are there. You will need it apart anyway to set the correct oil level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.