Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I thought changing the coolant would be a peice of cake and was a bit off the mark (not being able to find the radiator cap:?)

So before I replace the fork seals (never done this before) I thought I would ask for any advice available, special tools or anyother advice will be very much appreicated.

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
imported post

I did mine about 6 months back . Plan most of a day if you never done this . ITs not so bad but will take time . I had all my parts ahead of time . Lucky I did that because the snap rings were bad . Its a little tough getting the fork caps back in place as you have to twist to start the threads and push against the fork spring at the same time . You will also like to have a length of PVC on hand to push the seals into place . I think I used a 1 1/2 inch piece maybe 30 inches long . Here is a link to some good info I found here using the search function . Front Fork Overhaul (32 replies - 2817 views) . Try search for 1100 fork seal install . There are lots of other post as well .

Read the 3rd post in this link as well as the others . Also you will need to have a set of metric allen wrences to remove the bolt which is up thru the bottom of the fork . Accessed with the front axle removed . I believe it is 7mm or 6 mm .

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

When I changed my fork seals I made a tool from a baseball bat. First I cut the nub off of the handle end, then took a coarse bladed hacksaw and cut a notch in it and then filed to fit the top of the fork cap. It makes it alot easier to take caps on and off now. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys I need to work on finding the info on my own I couldn't find much on my own. This will get me going.

·
Premium Member
12,791 Posts
imported post

PL There is a wealth of info stored here and the search function can help retrieve it . Sometimes it is a daunting task though and simply asking for help is quicker plus others may chime with more or recent experience. When searching I find possibly using several different words or phrases helps . I hope I didnt offend you by suggesting I found that info in search as that was not my intention . My thought was that 3rd post I suggested was full of info and well explained .

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

No you did not offend me I have been serching the site but still have not "mastered" it. Any advice or help is appricated. I have a clymers manual but I am not very impressed with it I have been using the Hanes I found on this site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.