Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had to do an extremely quick stop for a left turner in a cage today front end dove a bit. Got home and started doing some plastic work on the old girl and what do I find but a bunch of fork oil leaking out of the right side dust cover. The seals were only a year old!!!
Man am I pissed, best weekend in a long time here and pretty sure I am stuck until the dealer opens on Tuesday.:lash:

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

I put seals in about a month or so ago, and in this heat, they've been seeping oil out like a broken thermometer! :X

I originally put in the ATF that the manual calls for, but yesterday I put thicker oil in and took it for a test ride. So far, no leaking and the ride still feels good.

You may want to give it a try on yours.

:?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

wcleafs2002 wrote:
Had to do an extremely quick stop for a left turner in a cage today front end dove a bit. Got home and started doing some plastic work on the old girl and what do I find but a bunch of fork oil leaking out of the right side dust cover. The seals were only a year old!!!
Man am I pissed, best weekend in a long time here and pretty sure I am stuck until the dealer opens on Tuesday.:lash:
Doing wheelies and stopies on and 800# bike is hard on fork seals! :badgrin::ROFL:

That aside, are your fork tubes really clean and smooth and round, no burrs, scoring, rust pittingor misshaping? Have you been over any REALLY rough road lately? All possibilities for a fork seal leak.

John

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
wcleafs2002 wrote:
Doing wheelies and stopies on and 800# bike is hard on fork seals! :badgrin::ROFL:

That aside, are your fork tubes really clean and smooth and round, no burrs, scoring, rust pittingor misshaping? Have you been over any REALLY rough road lately? All possibilities for a fork seal leak.

John
John, I thought we were not going to talk about all the trick riding you taught at NASSIR4?

Clean tubes and no really rough roads, just parking lot speed bumps at a slow speed. There was nothing really that day until that hard stop and I would of noticed if it was leaking from the night before. I will watch the sealmate video and see if I can fix that up.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

depending on the wear on the fork tube you may have a worn tube i would agree use a thicker oil i used 30wt oil in my rear shocks when i drained them out.

it wouldnt hurt to try thicker oil but none the less i would check the wear on the fork shaft to make sure you dont have a burr or something on it

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
You can make your own seal cleaning too from a piece of 35mm film negative.
What is film? ;)

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

wcleafs2002 wrote:
John, I thought we were not going to talk about all the trick riding you taught at NASSIR4?
:ROFL::ROFL:

Well I'm hoping you just have some little chunk of debris stuck in your seal and that you'll be able to clean it out.

John

·
Canada Bob
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Well it is amazing what people sell on the net, thanks agnogel for the link and will make one myself either out of the pop bottle or that 35mm film stuff that was mentioned. I did second guess myself and went out and checked the forks for burrs etc. Nothing as smooth as a baby's bottom (if a baby had a butt made of steel) so I am hoping it is dirt that got under it when the front end dove during braking. I saw the woman, who left turned across my bow, look at me and then gun it across. I made eye contact with her before the turn and thats what pisses me off the most!!!

Older driver and probably misjudged the speed of my approach but all the same:lash:

Almost make my birthday coming up this tuesday.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Three causes of fork seal problems I've seen are rough or pitted fork tubes, seals installed upside down and over filling the forks with oil. It's easy to install the seals upside down, just remember the side with the writing goes upward. Also when installing seals it's critically important to handle them carefully, those thin seal lips are fragile. I wrap the edge of the fork tube with a turn of masking tape to prevent the sharp edge touching the seal and lube both the fork tube and seal with fork oil before sliding it on. Using heavier weight oil might reduce leakage with a bad seal but it will yield a harsher ride for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well the wt of fork oil sure depends on the SIZE of the rider i dont konw about u guys but i sure dont miss my 3 meals a day

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Keeping them clean helps.... I carry a washrag in a plastic resealable bag in my tank bag, and wipe the fork tubes down at every gas stop, and at night in camp..... I don't give them pesky bugs a chance to dry and turn hard on the tubes......

And why did the manufacturers give up on fork gaiters? Stupid move, I think..... thought of cobbling them up, myself...... but.....

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Did you replace the bushings when you did the seals?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.