Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm going to rebuild my forks soon because one has started to leak. My springs (progressives, I think, installed by previous owner before I put 100,000 miles on the beast) have got at least 100K on them.

I'd like opinions about whether I should expect them to be worn out so I can decide whether to replace them before I take everything apart. I commute on this bike and hate to have it sitting idle any longer than necessary.

So, what do ya think, do springs generally have a life after 100,000 miles?

Thanks,
Jack

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks Wingle, but their write-ups didn't say much that would help me decide. I suspect a lifetime warranty works for how much many folks ride, and people who ride more than I have probably employed Progressive's lifetime warranty. I don't have enough experience with them to know. I can't honestly claim to be the purchasor, so there's no nickel in it for me if I take them apart and find they've lost length . . .

I thought someone might have a rule of thumb for expect life of these babies. Garage door torsion springs are expected to last about 10,000 open cycles, tires have an expected life, food has a shelf life - fork springs on a heavy bike like a 1500 must have an expected service life.

Jack

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

I personally look at them as if they were regular car shocks.. how often do you need to change them? i think somewhere around 75k I changed mine to progressives at 60k and eliminated all sorts of bottoming out and ride issues.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Best thing to do is contact Progressive instead of fishing around on here. I'm sure the actual manufacturer of the springs could give you more insight.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Yeah, that's what I expected, but they just don't say anywhere. I even posted a question at Bikebandit, but the response was just a referral to my service manual (what?)

I was hoping someone here might have had some experience on spring life/longevity. I think Bschofield has the best perspective on this (thanks).

Jack

·
Pwhoever
3,338 Posts
imported post

Sorry I don't have the answer for you but was wondering if I could make a request from you. After you have taken the springs out and the forks are collapsed, and before you take the forks apart, would you PLEASE take the measurement from the top of the dust cap to the lip of the fork? I posted this request on another post but have yet to get the question answered. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
imported post

If you have, or can locate, the GL1500 manual, which may in fact, be available on this site (I get lost, navigating all this crap/excuse me, excellent info!:D) it should give a measurement.

I'm sure my GL1000 and GL1100 manuals just give a minimum spring length as the way to evaluate "permanent compression" i.e. "throw it away" specs.

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

There is no suggested service life for fork springs, the manufacturers never take a stab at it. Every rider weighs in different and I guess a lighter rider will get longer out of springs. Once the springs measure in spec on the bench then they should be fine to put back in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.