Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I rode my 82 naked Wing around the block today for the first time after 20 years.
The engine runs like a dream. You don't even have touch the trottle to start the bike.
Anyway my question... Both Fork Tubes have an even layer of oil film on them. Should I replace the seals or wait a few days to see if they seal up? If the concensus is to replace the seals, what do I need? Can I buy a kit or just the parts I need? And where is the best place to get the stuff?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
imported post

You may as well prepare to replace the seals. whether it will need bushings depends on if they are worn or not. If it's pretty low miles it probably won't need them. Many places on the web to order seals and there is also your local dealer. A set of seals and dust covers from Honda cost about $45 about 18 months ago but I got a set of just seals from a local independent shop for $12.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Definitely replace the seals, not a difficult job. While you're at it replace the bushings and you'll have a like new fork assembly. The seals and bushings are available at many online vendors, Honda Direct Line, Motogrid, Bike Bandit, Old Bike Barn and eBay. You'll need two fork seals, two rubber dust covers and the bushings. You can look the parts up on Honda Direct Line's fische. They have good prices but are slow shipping, Motogrid is faster but a little bit higher priced.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

http://www.motogrid.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

I would just take some fine-400 grit wet or dry sandpaper, and take about a 1/4 piece of the sheet and fold it over in in half.

Now gently slide the sand paper under the seal an rub it a round the fork, a few times.

This cleans the fork and the seal, and has worked lots of times, ride it a bit and see if that solves the problem.

If I doesn't your not out much, 15 minutes and a quarter sheet of sandpaper.

This fix is in the faq's of my [email protected] list and has ben successfull lots of times.

Good luck;)

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

If the sandpaper trick doesn't go well.

Try draining the oil out of the fork and blow the seal out with compressed air at the drain hole. The seal will come up the fork and then you can use the sandpaper to clean up the seal.

then reinstall the seal by tapping it back into place,and refill.

Or glue a cylinder of sandpaper to the fork and then work the fork up & down a few times.:grinner:

any of these might work and you won't have to take the forks apart

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

ahnerrj wrote:
I rode my 82 naked Wing around the block today for the first time after 20 years.
The engine runs like a dream. You don't even have touch the trottle to start the bike.
Anyway my question... Both Fork Tubes have an even layer of oil film on them. Should I replace the seals or wait a few days to see if they seal up? If the concensus is to replace the seals, what do I need? Can I buy a kit or just the parts I need? And where is the best place to get the stuff?

Thanks.
I would change the seals & bushings & also while you have it out get some Progressive springs & you would really love the ride then.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I just had a local shop change out my seals on my 82 Interstate--Over $200--yikes! After they had taken me to the cleaners they mentioned that one of the fork tubes was pitted and the seal may not hold up. Needless to say I won't be doing business with them again. I bought the seals from Pyramid and they were quick and fairly inexpensive.

I would sure get the seals and bushings changed tho'. Mine had leaked out onto the brake pads, ruining them and all the "o" rings in the calipers. I'm going through a rebuild of the calipers and replacing the pads--doing it myself this time.

Take a good hard look at the fork tubes for pitting or corrosion.

Cheers!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the pitting isn't too bad you can 'repair' the tubes. While they are off the bike clean them up with a strong degreaser and wipe down the pitted area with an epoxy like JB Weld or a metal filled repair epoxy. Then using fine wet/dry paper with water or oil, polish the area down. I've made fixes on a couple of hydraulic cylinders that way and it held up well. The main thing is the epoxy will at least partially fill the pits and reduce the sharpness of the edges of the pits which is what eats the seals.

Installing Progressive springs will help the seals too, on my 1100 Standard with Progressive springs it wasn't necessary to use any air pressure in the forks at all. Without the air pressure pushing the oil out the seals will last longer.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

another pitch for progressives.... your orginal springs are 20+ years old, and, have lost some of their springiness

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

ahnerrj,

I would replace both the trans fluid and the seals. They are not that difficult to do, but make sure to take them off the Wing first, and put a cloth over the top of the forks, because when you are undoing the top screw, the spring pressuer will send them flying. Possibly get you a cut lip or black eye. Like I did LOL.

(Make sure you drain the air also)

Hope this helps,

Nightrider1

ahnerrj wrote:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks all... I'm gearing up to replace the fork seals. I'll mostly replace the dust cover as well. J&P Cycle has the seals. Would those be quality parts or should I bite the bullet and buy Honda???

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've used seal kits from several sources and never had a leak with any of them. BTW there's no need to remove the fork caps unless you're replacing the springs, for seal replacement it's far easier to remove the fork lowers, you can even leave the tubes attached to the steering stem.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I've used seal kits from several sources and never had a leak with any of them. BTW there's no need to remove the fork caps unless you're replacing the springs, for seal replacement it's far easier to remove the fork lowers, you can even leave the tubes attached to the steering stem.
Exavid has had better luck with aftermarket seals than I have. I bought some forthe last wing I had..Idont remember the brand. Ihadthe forks off the bike and everything. I had to re-do the seals with HONDA parts. Its a crappy job unless you do it twice I guess..

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

On of the critical things with oil seals is to be careful not to damage the lips of the seal. Always wrap any rough edge like snap ring grooves or threads over which you'll slide the seal with tape. Always wipe down any area the seal will pass over with a lubricant the same as the seal will be used with, ditto the seal itself. Any pitting in an area the seal will touch has to be dressed or filled to prevent premature failure of the seal. One other thing sometimes overlooked on forks is that the fork bushings must be in good condition. If there's much wear in them the play between the fork tubes and fork lowers will wear the seal.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Has anyone used the JC Whitney Kit? Two seals and the dust covers for $31.00. How's the quality?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The price is pretty close to what you'll find on eBay or an online vendor. Probably okay.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.