Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made a set of tunnel blockers for the forks? If so do yo have a "spec" diagram?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I've got this one I got from somewhere (forget now, apologies to the original poster). Note: this is for the 1800!

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
You can buy a set as cheap as you can buy the foam rubber to make them.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Is there a reason that tunnel would have to be open at anytime?

I get a lot of road debris up through there when I'm riding, bugs, grass clippings that are blown out onto the road, leaves, water when it's raining or roads are wet.

I have the fender extension in the front. I was thinking of getting some soft thin rubber to extend it down another inch or so, and use that same rubber material to built a permanent shield inside the tunnel.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,668 Posts
I can't think of a single good reason to leave it open.

I get dust debris in my eyes, even under my eyeglasses unless I keep my helmet fully closed.

I lost my old tunnel fillers when my '94 was killed by Penske.

Need to make some new ones or just let CycleMax send me some. that is easier.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Never did understand why Honda did not put a rubber boot over that opening like the boot over a c-v joint.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
That's weird, I don't get this debris through there and I ride with an open-face helmet with the visor up. Maybe the windscreen makes a difference? I swapped the stock one for a FireCreek one years ago. Even water through that opening is not a problem for me.

I can't think of a single good reason to leave it open.

I get dust debris in my eyes, even under my eyeglasses unless I keep my helmet fully closed.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
I also don't recall ever getting anything noticeable up through the openings. Perhaps road noise but????

·
Administrator
27,928 Posts
Maybe 1500s don't do it but I would get water up through the tunnel riding in rain, not a lot but some before I put the tunnel filters in. I do think it helps keep the dust down and helps the air filter stay clean longer. I do know the tunnel filters in my old 1800 got real nasty, I was going to salvage them until I pulled them out of the wreck and saw how dirty they were.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I also don't recall ever getting anything noticeable up through the openings. Perhaps road noise but????
I agree never noticed a problem in any weather.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Hardly any difference

I just reinstalled a set on my 1500 ...... and there is very minimal difference (if any) than without them. :baffling:

·
life is good
1,192 Posts
i will not ride without them. i think they make a big difference. i don't like all the air coming up thought there. i keep my windshield vent closed almost all the time. its the extra air i don't want. in the summer the air at 70 mph is like a hairdryer!:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.