Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have the wheel, fender, spreader brace, etc all off. The air connections are loose and the bolts have been removed from the upper and lower bridges. The bridge mouths have been spread. And now even using a dowel and beating on it, those tubes do not want to come loose.

Ideas? Can I twist them loose by using the filler nut going clockwise? Would C4 plastique be called for?

Sacrifice a virgin to the great GoldWing God and promise to never ever post any more Bunny Wabbits on the board and screw up the deer thread ever again?

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Brojees, did you take off the very fine circular spring clip that sits in a groove in the fork legs? This has to be slid off or the forks just wont slide out.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
Brojees.. You did loosen the three allen head (pinch) bolts on the triple trees right? One upper.Two lower..

Once they are loose,the fofk tubes will drop down so you can get the cir-clip off the top part of the shock..(The cir-clip is the stop when they go back in.)
Two lower??

I only see one and my manual only shows one, but I will look again.

Circular spring is not in play yet, I can't get the tube down to access it.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Two per tube? Hmm... The Horn bolt!!:doh:

OK I will be back on it tomorrow when I get home.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

OK I admit I am a dummy!!

Now I found the head of the third bolt, but do I have to remove the entire fairing to access it? My paws just do not get there with wrench!!

(Hint: You cannot get to it from the headlight nacelle, but you do get to adjust the windshield on the way!!)

I will not post rabbits on the board

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
OK I admit I am a dummy!!

For that, it was worth it!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Mr.1200 wrote:
Brojees....Quit fooling around.And "git er done"

I have big paws too,and have had no problem getting the pinch bolts out..Try using the Allen wrench and a pair of vise grips to loosen the bolt....Believe me they do come out without the Fairing being removed!

Persistence pays off!
Err, mine do not appear to be allen? Will get back on it in the morning first thing. I actually took too much time off after my ATF facewash!

Control yourself Paul!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I am on the wrong bolt then, these are hex head I have a socket on them. Shyte! BRB, I am going to look.

[align=center]YES!!!!!!!

[align=left]I have a tube loose!!!

I was taking off the ...OR TRYING TO TAKE OFF THE HORN Cover Plate and the Wind Protector

And I did not realize the two lower allens were side by side!! Now that I know I can barely make it out in the photos and drawings in my Clymers.

A hearty and sincere THANK YOU is in order!! I will start taking those tubes apart tomorrow!!

And someday I will finally be back on the road after I reassemble my partially disassembled fairing!!

Hmm.... Wonder if it would have been easier if I had approached this from the exhaust?
[/align] [/align]

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

OK, Now after a good night's sleep I am off to see how I can cockup the tube disassembly!

I dreamt of Rabbits.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
OK, Now after a good night's sleep I am off to see how I can cockup the tube disassembly!

I dreamt of Rabbits.

It's so refreshing to finally come across an honorable American mechanic.... :grinner:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

twisty wrote:
Twisty,

Where were you a week ago? I have torn my hands to ribbons and disassembled half the plastic on the bike trying to get to that wee hex head bolt on the left side of your photo!!!!

Woe is me, no more Wabbits!!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

My disc pads on the right side are saturated with ATF from the fork seal failure. I wonder if the old alcohol soak trick will work?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

You already know the safe thing to do is replace the pads. With all the crap they use in lining material I wouldn't subject them to an alcohol soak, and they've absorbed ATF. They may LOOK clean after a cleaning, but they won't have the same frictional characteristics they had before. I have some SLIGHTLY used linings off my 98 1500. If you knew they were the same you'd be welcome to them. Bob

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
My disc pads on the right side are saturated with ATF from the fork seal failure. I wonder if the old alcohol soak trick will work?
Brojees , probably "brake clean" would be your best bet.. Alcohol isn't the best for cleaning oil based problems (it's good for cleaning brake fluid saturated things though)..

While I wouldn't outright recommend that anybody clean their brake pads of oil & reuse them I have done so many times & never had any problems.. I would remove the brake pads & spray down with brake clean,, then scuff the pad area with rough sandpaper,, thenre-install & make a few hard stops to heat the pads.. If all OK then just use them,, if any signs of oil wicking out on the rotor then either replace the pads or do the cleaning again.. Just don't soak the pads in anything for long periods as that could cause the linings to de-laminate from the steel backing plate..

Twisty

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.