Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

can i change the fork seals without removing the tubes from the triple clamps.
will the lower leg clear the floor .
thanks wayne

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

They will if you put the bike on a jack or put it on the centerstand and jack up the front of the engine with a car jack. I've changed seals both by taking the forks out of the stem and by leaving the tubes in the clamps. Both ways work but I like taking the tubes out of the stem so I don't have to worry about knocking the bike over when pulling the old bushings and seals out. You may have to remove the tubes from the stem if the Allen boltat the bottom of the lower spins on you, about the only thing to do then is to drill the head off the Allen bolts so you can pull the lower off.

If you leave the tubes in the fork be sure to put a couple layers of cardboard or some wood below the lowers so that when the bushing or seal lets go as you're yanking on the lowers it won't hit a hard concrete floor as it comes loose.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Wayne:

Hi and welcome. I just replaced the fork seals on my GL1500 and I would not advise doing it that why and this is because you will have to refill the fork with new oil and you will want to clean the fork so you aren't putting new oil in with old. Also you won't be able to get the correct level in that fork unless you have a very good measuring cup. I would have to say I have never tried it that way but maybe someone knows more that I.

Good luck and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
imported post

I am not sure about leaving the forks on...I have always removed them to make sure to get clean oil in and old oil out.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I did mine on the bike and used the tripple clap as my vise. I work outside and have no work bench so this wroked for me.

I was given a good idea by bigcahuna as to how to measure the fluid going in. A baby bottle has oz on one side and mm on the other. It may be off the slightest ammount but close enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.