Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After several months of work, wehave just opened the forum index today and need your feedback. This has been asked for before but the work involved is very very time consuming because of the sheer size of the Technical forum.

tanygaer took on the task of integrating the index into the forum and I've been going through the Tech and Referenceforum picking posts to add. I've put in about 100 or so post links to get it started andhave more queued toadd daily once we know the index is stable and can cope.

The post links in the index linkto one post in the relevent thread and to view the full thread, click the "Full Topic" button at the top. This makes for fast access withouthaving to look through a whole threadthat you may not need to read.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Looks real nice Steve.
Maybe consider adding a couple of Index Librarians to manage it and snag things.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Excellent Steve, have you a patent on this site :cool:

·
Premium Member
58,958 Posts
imported post

Looks good.. Makes things very simple to find........

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Wingnnut,
I believe indexing the 1100s, 1200s, 1500s and 1800s would be a big task, but in the end, it would knock off a lot of repeat questions.
Good Luck Bro,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I gave this a lot of thought David and am indexing by subject, with the Wing model also shown except in cases where the subject might relate to more than one model (tyres and oil come to mind here). I studied the search stats for the whole site (the words people use when looking for Goldwing info) and am using that trend as a guide for this project.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

my opinion is GREAT, but as i'm kinda reluctant to change old habits die hard, but i'm trying, and i'm sure i'll get used to it and it will be great for new members. think yous are doing a GREAT job and i thank yous very much. marty:action::waving::clapper:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

For an old guy like me it will save a lot of time fishing through thousands of posts. thanks for all the work.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I like it, first thing I clicked on when I found the forum yesterday. For impatient people like me it makes searching quick and painless. Its a pity all the big forums don't do the same thing.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The index is an excellent idea. I remember people asking for it but I never thought it would get done because of the work needed and at the time everyone asking for it didn't seem keen on helping gather the information.

I have one question. Is it wise having the car tyre threads indexed? We all know they end up in flames;

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

It looks really good, lots of useful info indexed. My only questions is how come the link isn't on the menu once you log on? :?:?

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

papabee49 wrote:
It looks really good, lots of useful info indexed. My only questions is how come the link isn't on the menu once you log on? :?:?
The "Index A-Z" link should be visible in the menu whether you are logged in or not Ritchie. What theme are you using in case we missed one?

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
I have one question. Is it wise having the car tyre threads indexed? We all know they end up in flames;
Those particular CT threads stayed civil Norman, so I included them. It's a popular topic and hard to ignore for the index, and if the threads do flare up and get deleted it only takes a minute to wipe them from the index as well.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
imported post

This is exactly why this site is so successful. Steve's personal attention to detail coupled with his continuous personal touch regarding quality improvements. Kudos's Steve!

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Steve, I am using the American flag theme. I noticed that it is there on the initial home page, but as soon as I log in... its gone. Thanks for your attention to detail, you REALLY do run a top notch site. :clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks for the heads-up Ritchie, the link is missing from the following themes when logged in;

USA
Bluesky
Blushing pink
Night eyes
Simple
Starlight

I can't fix this myself, so I'll ask Dave to take a look when he has time.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I figured it out Ritchie and just fixed it in the USA theme. I'll have the others done in a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.