Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Thanks John! Downloaded quite fast and appears to work well. SO much info at my fingertips! Great job!

·
Administrator
57,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow! Now that is a whole lot of info! Can't imagine the time this must take to make and keep current! Thank you! Also a lot easier to do than I thought it would be.
Yes, it has taken a lot of time; but that has been spread out over the years.

It does take a lot of reading also, on threads that aren't necessarily of interest to me at the moment.

I am just happy that you enjoy it, and can make use of it.

IIRC, when I export the index, I get a report that it contains 5,000 some odd links.

·
Registered
22 Posts
John,
You have done a great job. It took a great effort on your part and should benefit many people with problems!!
Just skimming through the index last night, I found answers to several things that have baffled me for a couple of years. Many thanks.
I downloaded using the 'link' in your first post. Since reading some of the comments, I noticed you have other 'links?' posted. Should I delete the original and download the latest?
I apologize, but I'm not very computer literate.
Thanx again for all your efforts
Jim

·
Administrator
57,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The later dated links contain everything the earlier links did.

They just have additional bookmarks that were added.

I change the links spasmodically when the notion strikes me. Usually every 3 months or so. Depends on how much I think the additional information I have is worth...

·
Administrator
57,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
A comment on replacing an existing bookmarks folder in your browser.

I would rename the current "Motorcycles" bookmark to "Motorcycles old",
then import the new bookmarks into your browser.

If you have not made any special indexes of your own, and the new upload went well, then delete the old bookmark folder.

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
I use OPERA as a browser it took 9 seconds to download. Then opens like a web page with a nice list of links.

Thanks

·
Administrator
57,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I use OPERA as a browser it took 9 seconds to download. Then opens like a web page with a nice list of links.

Thanks
You should not be seeing a WebPage, you should import it into Opera and then it will be a series of Bookmarks with titles.

Yes, you can look directly at the downloaded file, but that is an excruciating way to try and find something you want.

I installed Opera just to see what you are talking about and wrote the following.

Opera Bookmarks

Click on the top left corner, (Customize and Control Opera)

Go to More TOOLS

Select Import Bookmarks

Click the down Arrow and select HTML files.

Make it look like this

Now go thru your computer folders until you find the bookmarks file you downloaded, on your Desktop?
In a special Download folder? No matter where, select it like shown below

Click on OPEN and then DONE.

You should now be able to view the imported bookmarks.
But right here, I am going to have to say that the method that Opera chose do display Bookmarks is so convoluted as to make me go insane.
It does not honor "Settings" and stay in List View, it keeps defaulting back to Thumbnail view.
And it does not use the standard bookmark display that all the other browsers do.

I highly encourage you to install this bookmark file in Firefox and use it from there, even if the only reason you do so is to view the Forum's Indexed bookmarks.

this is how Opera displays the Bookmarks

Contrast this type of Bookmark view to those of the other browsers that I showed in the Forum Index thread.

I apologize for the fuzzy view, but when Bookmarks are opened in any browser, and you try to do a Screen Capture with the "Alt-ScrnPrint" buttons, the bookmarks disappear.

So, I used a camera and the camera is so fast, it only catches every other screen line display, or half the actual image.... I need to experiment with Long Exposures on making screenshots with a camera.

If you want to see the original CAMERA IMAGE file, click on this link:
It is ten times better to look at.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/ZWJWSmIrZ2pTRTRpR01UQw

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
I can look at it like this through OPERA.

Untitled.png

Bookmarks under the opera tab then imported book marks ect ect.

Thanks for checking it out

You encouraged me to import the bookmarks.

I do have Mozilla as a back up browser I just don't like it much nor use it much.

·
Administrator
57,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
okay, you got it going, and can use it in the same way other browsers do.

Browsers are a personal thing, I used to use Opera a lot back in the early days of 300 baud modems.... then Mozilla came along and blew them out of the water IMO.

Never looked back, no other browser can give me the options that I want like Firefox can.

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
I've used all the browsers over the years.

Yeah, it is much better using it as you intended.

Thank you for all your hard work.:claps::claps::claps::claps::claps:

I went IE then foxfire then chrome then opera.

·
Administrator
57,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Okie Dokie, this ole Okie has updated the Forum Index to Motorcycle Info...

I am not calling it a Steve Saunders Index anymore, it has metamorphosed into much more.

I am now indexing every topic of interest on as many goldwing forums as I have time to visit.

The end result is, you can have one index on your PC browser now, and see info from:

This forum of course the SteveSaundersGoldwingFacts forum...

But there are also Index Links that include:

www.goldwingdocs.com/forum/

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/

http://www.northamericangoldwings.com/community/forums/

whew!!! Google is faster, but not topic oriented like I do.

The new update is now 2019/06/30, and the new file is up and ready to follow.

I have edited this entire thread "and tried to" catch every reference to the download link and replace it with the new link.

worst case, as always, the 1st post ALWAYS is correct for the newest Index.

Enjoy, and please, if you find this useful, come back to this thread and comment so that others can see your thoughts.

Updated: 2019/06/30

https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/LzmFCDZ8Bphttps://www.yousendit.com/download/cUJXU2VwMHdvQnNPd3NUQw

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
I built and manage my website. My editor (frontpage) has a way to run through every link to check if the link is broken. Wonder if you can find a program that would do that for you?

·
Administrator
57,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That is easy, I have an add on in Firefox to report all of those links...
It has a unique name, :), it is call Bookmarks Checker :ROFL:

Deleting all of the broken ones is not what I want, that would totally cripple the work I have done in the index.

As my motorcycle index alone contains over 5,000 bookmarks, there is a major problem with Bookmark Checkers.... They just present you with the link itself, they do NOT show you where that bookmark is in relation to the total order of the index it is sitting in.

Add to that, I purposely place Bookmarks to the same link, with Different hand written titles, in different sub-topics..... oops! Bookmark checkers reports you have 1,533 duplicate links, "click here to remove Duplicate bookmarks....

uh, piss on that, I would have no clue as to which one it removed, or where it was in the stack of bookmarks... and the name of the bookmark is just about useless as I rename them to be pertinent to the subject matter.... as you have all seen, most titles as created by a user are just about useless as far as describing what info they really want to know.

How many threads have you seen with a single word title, ie, GL1200

yep, just the model info, no year, nothing about what is wrong, or maybe they have something good to tell us, but what??? that is why, if you are a regular reader, you will see the thread titles change after I figure out what the thread topic is.... I rename it.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts