Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to see if any thought has been given to having separate sub forums for each goldwing generation? Looking through the tech forum is cluttered for someone like me that only has one or two different models. I am not much help on a 70's model.

·
Administrator
24,494 Posts
It has been discussed several times and the downs always outweigh the ups. I personally don't like having them all divided. It helps to read all the posts, you might learn something that will come in handy later.

·
Administrator
57,630 Posts
as Dave just said, many discussions on this in the past.

we once, had a poll of the members, and they chose to leave it like it is.
why?
because owners of newer bikes still remember how to fix your problems on your '75 85' 95' '05 model bikes.

if we put it all into single model forums, you and 1 other person would be the only one looking at your problem.

and since you are asking, are you volunteering to search through 20 + years of posts and sort them all into the correct Model Year category?:|

·
Administrator
57,630 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Virtual Categories would give users both options. Using tags to sort by models but all the posts actually exist under the parent and can all be viewed exactly as they are now. I moderate several forums and I have developed a few, I would be happy to filter existing posts into tags although its not necessary needed it would be good for archival searching.

·
Administrator
57,630 Posts
the stuff you are talking of, would have to be handled by our Administrators, and they are a corporation called VerticalScope.

they do a good job of maintaining the forum in its' current configuration. but, they are now currently in the process of replacing our forum software with a new version, which version or brand, has not been decided.... what they do effects all of their forums that they own, because their policy is "one size fits all" so that the IT gurus don't have to think outside the box, to maintain us.

I agree the MetaTags would be nice, but we did not start out that way, and I have not seen anyone volunteering to do so prior to you.

Thus far, they have done a very good job in agreeing, and maintaining that promise to keep our original format so it does not look strange to the old timers.
that is the original "Yellow Classic Skin" ...... you can look at the different skins by going to the bottom left corner of any page, and selecting a new skin.

I will not use any skin except Classic, period.

·
Administrator
57,630 Posts
Virtual Categories would give users both options. Using tags to sort by models but all the posts actually exist under the parent and can all be viewed exactly as they are now. I moderate several forums and I have developed a few, I would be happy to filter existing posts into tags although its not necessary needed it would be good for archival searching.

give me a call and help me understand where you are going?

918.....613.....9.....5...... thareee ........ zarow .....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/thread_tagging

F150forum.com has them enabled but they are rarly used. I think you can make them required. There is a lot that can be done also that make searching much easier. Besides having the Model as a tag, you could also have the system with an issue, for example electrical, Engine, chassis, suspension, etc. It becomes really useful if you also enable filtering. Which is a quick way to filter down to the tags you want to see.

Again, for example, I want to search for how to remove the tail light from my new 2008 GL1800. The problem now is not everyone types exactly gl1800. Some might just use 1800 or gl1800gen1 or they typo and write GW1800. With tags, I can select the GL1800 Gen1 tag and serach "Remove tail light" and get a much better refined list of threads.

I will give you a call after I get back from lunch.

·
Administrator
21,891 Posts
Again, I'll tell you that you would hurt yourself with such a change. The Hyundai forum is partitioned like that and you may get one two or three responses from the members because there are so few who frequent any specific forum.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Again, I'll tell you that you would hurt yourself with such a change. The Hyundai forum is partitioned like that and you may get one two or three responses from the members because there are so few who frequent any specific forum.
That's Hyundai, No offence but not a lot of DIYers driving Hyundai's. Almost every truck forum out there is partitioned that way. And this forum is much closer in user base to those then any Hyundai.

Although I totally understand keeping this site elderly friendly. Using the tag method would not change how current users see the forum but offer a much more powerful refinement of the content for users trying to search for info.

Unfortunately this, like most forums, sold out to a corporation. So like AZ said, they will clone this form into their format, like every other Vertical Scope. https://www.verticalscope.com/our-verticals

·
Administrator
57,630 Posts
it may be a clone in some respects, but the Classic version will remain as it is today, in look and feel.
that takes them some time to do, but it is in the Contract that they signed with Steve Saunders.

and so far, they honored that agreement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, they made the same agreement with Diesel Bombers and another one that I forgot the name of also about Diesel Trucks. They all fell into the same basic layout. They may keeps the colors. (90s internet yellow...) but I bet they will not work that hard to maintain the layout. Although the newer version of VB is not that much different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts