Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

For several weeks I've been frustrated when visiting this forum from work. It was so slow, it was taking around 30 seconds for every page to load. However, it seemed reasonably fast from home in the evenings. I put it down to heavy server load during the day.

However today, while sitting waiting for one of the forum pages to load, I happened to look at the bottom of my browser screen...it said; "transferring from 10.x.x.x" (or some such IP address) "That's odd" I thought, because 10.x.x.x IP addresses are internal - not used on the public Internet.

I had a look through the source code of the web page, and found no references to any 10.x.x.x addresses. In fact, the only reference I found to any other domain other than goldwingfacts.com was download.skype.com - some Javascript used to show Skype button images on web pages or some such. So I tried this - typing the Skype address into my browser - and sure enough, my company's internal firewall net-nanny redirected this address to an internal page at 10.x.x.x, which stated that access to skype.com is banned.

Obviously the browser doesn't play nice with this redirection, and simply waits until it eventually times out - which means every page has to time out before it is fully loaded.

It's a very easy thing to work around, fortunately. If you are experiencing the same thing, to fix it in Windows you need to do a Start/Run and run this command:

notepad c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

It will pop up an editor screen full of what is probably gibberish to most. Scroll down to the bottom of the file, and on a line of its own, enter the following:

127.0.0.2 download.skype.com

Save your changes and exit the editor.

This will tell your computer to basically ignore any calls to download.skype.com, and will solve the delay problem.

Incidentally, if you are running Windows Vista, as soon as you make this change, a warning box will pop up, warning you that you have just made this change (stupid and redundant error, just like 99% of the stupid and redundant error messages Vista is full of). Just click Ignore and all will be fine.

Incidentally, this file can also be used to bar some advertisements and annoying pop-ups from appearing on your computer. By no means a comprehensive list, these are a few I have in my HOSTS file that keep some of the more annoying ones from invading my PC:

127.0.0.2 ad.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.2 www.altnetp2p.com
127.0.0.2 www.b3d.com
127.0.0.2 www.bonzi.com
127.0.0.2 www.brilliantdigital.com
127.0.0.2 www.dataprophetdrm.com
127.0.0.2 www2.incredimail.com
127.0.0.2 a.tribalfusion.com

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Now if we could just avoid making 900 connections needed to goldwingfacts.com for every single emoticon image load when posting messages or PM's it would get right spanky.

Would save a buttload of DNS lookups at the same time.

If the IP is static and doesn't change all the time you could just make the following entry in /etc/hosts...

69.36.8.9 goldwingfacts.com

But you would still have all the emoticon lookups.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Banskype!! andits envasive software...

(everyone's skype is blocked here at work...

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Skype only invades the information you choose to give to it.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I am using firefox, and skype and have no problems.

Internet explorer and window OP system are the main instigator of most of the problems, except of course the loading of the emoticons.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

The emoticons loading will be fixed in the upgrade which is starting to roll out this week. Emoticons loading for every post or reply have been the single biggest cause of pages loading slowly as it pulls sql queries each time someone posts. If you multiply that by several people posting per minute it will give you an idea of the problem. The upgrade will only load the few emoticons on the main post box and will ignore all the other ones until you want to select them.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
imported post

If you use Firefox, you can turn off redirection .

That is what I have done and my Firefox works just fine through our company firewall which blocks Skype.

sandiegobrass; Skype is NOT invasive! It only answers what you request of it :p

Rather than do what GSMacLean suggests, I just install AdBlock Plus for Firefox. That bans all advert and keyclick monitoring sites. Using AdBlock's automatic updater, the advert sites are also current. :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

emotioncons? I thought those were idiotcons. It's like how many jumping clapping laying yellow balls do you need? One maybe or maybe two like most of us seem to get along with. But 3-4-5-6-7-8-9.....?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.