Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

All have noticed, no doubt that the forum's speed is slower than we have been accustomed to since the new server was installed.

The new Search Indexing program is running in the background, and nearing the 1 million mark.

As each additional post is added to the index, it gets slightly slower because of the huge size of the index.

Please be patient.

The end results will be more than worth the slight delays we are experiencing.

Try to avoid double clicking on POST/SEND and wait until the server responds to you.
That can be more than 15 seconds now of late, depends on how many people are logged in.

I have had a few PMs asking if "Is my computer slowing down, or is the forum slow?"

So, I thought I would make mention of the indexing routine once again.

Steve made mention of it about 3 weeks ago. We do not know how long it will take, but it is about 75 percent done or better now. But, as it gets closer to being done, it slows down a tad bit because of the huge cross referencing of each word in the index versus what posts that word can be found in.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

I've done the Disc Cleanup - Defrag - and Virus Scans thinking that it was my computer.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yes indeed the forum is running at a very stately speed. About three furlongs per fortnight or nearbouts.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

Yep was wondering about .
Thanks for lettiing us Know

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the info.:smiler: I've recently scrapped Windows and am now using Linux, and I thought it had something to do with that. I'm relieved :waving:

David

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

We are into week three of the Search Forum rebuild, it was started on February 1st.
700,000 posts have been indexed so far. Jim at Ultra support is confident this will work as he recently did the same for another forum with about 600,000 total posts and it worked. As many of you will remember, two previous Search Function rebuild attempts by Jim and tanygaer failed.

I didn't want to turn the forum off like I did the first time we tried this, the downside is it will run a little slower until the rebuild is finished. Thanks for your patience.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Well done Steve, that's why we leave the work up to you :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

Well that helps, thought it was my stuff or ISP, or figured maybe you'd moved the server to Kazakhstan.

Appreciate the update.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

And I thought it was just me........Thanks for keeping this the best site on the WWW

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the update. I guess we would all prefer the forum stayed open and ran slower while whatever is being fixed gets done in the background, than have it shut down for 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the up-date and inspiring words. I've had a major virus and am just recovering the net here at home... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

Bernieswing wrote:
Thanks for the update. I guess we would all prefer the forum stayed open and ran slower while whatever is being fixed gets done in the background, than have it shut down for 3 weeks.
That's what I thought. The first time we did it, the forum was shut down for almost five days, and then the rebuild of the Search failed. If it fails this time, I would prefer that we can all at least use the forumduring the process.
This will be the final attempt at fixing the Search. If it fails, Imay be looking at alternative forum software. I would prefer not to do this as the current one is very good and easy to customize. But a basically broken search function isn't much use in the Technical forum.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

[align=center][/align]
[align=center]Why the hell was I not told about this before now :lash:I have broken the Lap Top that my neighbour gave me to use this place :readit:[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]

[/align]

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I've noticed for months, that about 10:10 PM PST, the forum would completely stop. So, I'd just give up and go to bed. But, anytime, the forum has been very slow, and I lost several posts. Much slower that other sites I visit. The fastest seems to be the Android forums. This with Speakeasy tests running around 20-22 mbps. (Seattle link)

edit - - This post took 45 secs to load. :smiler:

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the update Steve, we appreciate all that you do. I too at first thought I was having pooter problems, but noticed it was just on this site. 2+2=4 usually. Sounds like it is time to make another donation too, what with all these RE pairs going on.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Seems nice & fast now :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

[align=center][/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]Thats cause wexy has stopped fiddling with the 'MANA'tabs :lash:[/align]

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Thats cause wexy has stopped fiddling with the 'MANA'tabs :lash:
Real men don't eat Mana:ROFL::ROFL:

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.