Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
imported post

the location of pivot will make a difference. I installed a few sets on bikes before & if the attachment point for the forward rod on the shaft is on top or the bottom that will determine if the pattern is rev. or not. same is true for rear sets like on sport/drag bikes. simply put if you took your original shifter, installed it straight up (like a shifter in a car) the pattern would be one way.(1 forward,4 back) install the shifter straight down, the pattern would be opposite.

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
imported post

I personally don't think I would like the forward controls for the Wing but I believe there are many folks that would purchase an aftermarket mod for it.

But that's just me, I rode a Yamaha Royal Star Venture a couple thousand miles with forward controls and I don't think I ever got used to it. :sadguy:

But I agree, I think people would buy an aftermarket modification product. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

The big reason for them? My legs would fall asleep in the regular position not cool at a stop light!!! and when I my next project I will use the foot peg I think they call the switch blade so I have some place to put my heels.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
imported post

I have recently made a new seat pan for my 87 GL1200i, changed the tank out with a steel tank from a 77 standard and want to fabricate a set of forward controls because my legs are too cramped with the new position. If anyone has any detailed pictures of their forward controls I would love to see them.

I also fabricated new pipes, and put a dan moto micro dash in the tank shroud while I was at it :) and have all the parts ready for paint!

Any help would be great!

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Wait, it says the bike is stolen??!!!

And sorry about your arm. Glad you're on the mend. Looks like you are back in business as of April so I'll take that as a great sign.

Do you have pricing on the controls? I'm interested in controls for my 76.

Edit: Duh, look further before asking.:)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

broke winger- I had forward controls on my 82 1100 for a while but discovered I need bearings at EVERY friction point or all the freeplay adds up to be too much. It was both sides, (r. brake also), and done with simple bellcranks and rods. and it shifted like a dream because there was more leverage on the shiftlever vs. stock because the stock position for the shifter is crowded by #4 cylinder.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Forward controls would be nice but the fairing is too wide on the 1800 for highway pegs to be comfortable so I'd like to see how they would do it.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
Wow, a resurection of a 5 year old thread.:applause: Not a problem with me at all, it just means people are researching the archives.:waving:
Hobie

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Ya know that set looks like it would work on an 1100 with only minor modification.
I suspect Honda will do something different with the engine design with the next generation Goldwing.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.