Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got offered a 88 gl1500. With 50k on blue gray in color
Been sitting for in garage for a few years the original owner passed away
. $1500 or my best offer. The bike is very clean first owner was much older the new owner has no time to. Get her running. What you guys think she. Will. Take to get going again

Thanks
Rem

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
With 50K and setting a few years, you can automatically plan on replacing timing belts and all the fluids (oil, coolant, flush brake and clutch). Depending on how it was prepped before being stored, you may have some carb work and vacuum line work to do. Tires are another important consideration, and you'll want to check the date codes. Some say 5 years is the maximum shelf life even if the tires look new. I may push that but certainly wouldn't trust anything older than 10 years.

Having said that, $1500 sounds like a very good deal, especially if you're willing to do the wrenching. Make sure you post pics and any questions as I'm sure the gurus on here are able and willing to walk you through any issues.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I'd be on that like a chicken on a June bug!

Fluids (all round), belts, Seafoam, check the gas tank, filters, (especially fuel) jet the cylinders with PB Blaster, let it sit overnight...

Fire that hummer up.

T

·
Registered
407 Posts
That is how I picked up my 88. It sat for 7 years. I replaced timing belts, all coolant hoses, rebuilt the carbs and all new fluids. I had to replace the gas tank as it was rusted real badly. Fuel pump was shot also due to rust. Put in new fuel lines also. I got it running really well. I have also replaced the brake lines and rebuilt the calipers and master cylinders. I still have a slight vacuum leak as I get a popping sound at idle. Will work on that one over the winter. If you like working on the bike, it will be a fun project.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
The question is, would you pay $3500 to $3800 for that same bike if it was running great, new fluids, fork seals, brakes, tires, timing belts, needs noting! not even an oil change?

Would you but it?

Because when your done, you will not only have a great bike, you will be up close and personal with it............ Nothing better......

·
Registered
3,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
If it's a clean good looking bike I'd grab it.
Probably nothing major wrong with it and just need the general maintenance others have mentioned already. Many people do almost all that work even buying a good running ready to ride 1500 anyway!

Timing belts are the MAIN THING because if one breaks the engine is shot. Cost about $30 or so for both belts depending where you buy them. They rot with age, not just miles. At 50K they probably never been replaced. Not that hard to do yourself.
Many people buy a great running bike ready to ride, and that's the first thing they do anyway if they don't know when they were last changed for sure. Just to be safe!

Changing out all fluids is just general winter maintenance every year or 2 for many people also.

So mostly checking the tank for rust, and hoping the pump and carbs are not gunked up bad, or rebuilding them if they are, probably the difference in work between one that runs and one that sits. LOL

Check mice have not been in it eating all the wires also.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
I have that exact motorcycle and it is a great deal. even with some maintenance. I got mine in june 2012 and I have not looked back. I paid 3500 for my wing and put about 1000-1500 in maintenance and repairs. worth every penny

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.