Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I found an 82 wing for sale from an estate sale they are asking 800.00 OBO.

But this is what I have found out about it, it has been sitting for about 1yr, and now turns over real slow even with jumper cables hooked up. has had some fairing damage due to being dropped. I know I pobably will have to remove the carb and tank to clean them, but what else would I need to look for. a starter maybe I know a battery for sure. I am going up saturday to check it out for sure. so any info would be appreciated thanks Dennis

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

If it is OBO then try a low ball figure.
The fact that you said it turns over, all be it slowly, is a bonus, shouldn't take too much to get her up and running.
Shame the fairing is damaged, the bodywork can be the bit that ends up costing the most to put right, mechanicals on Wings are not usually too bad.
Good luck with the purchase. :waving::cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Turning over is a plus, it's been sittin for awhile so your right carbs, timing belt, rear shaft ect. But once she's going then you'll have to check the stator/charging system.
For that price, even a little less:thumbsup: and looking at the pictures nice find.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

If it were me? Personally?, If I was looking for a project bike to work on over the winter to ride next year (and beyond)I wouldn't go $500. By the time you get the belts, fluids changed, brake master cylinder and calipers rebuilt, fairing replacement, tires if they are dry rot, which if it's been sitting they probably are, you are gonna have close to another thousand dollars there, not including the time you put into this project. For a couple of thousand, you can buy a road ready 82.........

Just my opinion.......

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

$800.00 dollars for a damaged bike that does not run? i would not consider it. $300.00 at the most. just my 2 cents and some people tell me i am over pricedon my opinion. regards walkabout:)

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

this is why I am asking so I know what I am getting into, I want to replace my 75 wing that got totaled earlier this yr. Had to use the insurance money I got for my medical bills that my coverage didn't pay when my back was operated on in may of this yr. so funds are a little tight right now. so if I can get it for around 500.00 or under I can afford that.

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

It all depends on location.. Around here a bike like that.. $300.00 MAYYYYYYBE up to $400.00...

you have some serious werk ahead of you to get her on the road again.. but once you do... You will have a wonderful bike!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

i'd go 500 for it Like others say it depends on the market. But these a whole lota bike there for 500.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

Chances are that you will be spending a good bit on the restoration. If you are looking at this fix-er-upper as an enjoyable hobby, a hundred bucks either way isn’t going to make much difference. If your decision is based exclusively on finances, I would spend a bit more initially for a bike in better running condition (don’t ask me how I came to this conclusion). In either case, this is a good season to be negotiating a price with a seller.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks for all the info, I have been a mechanic on cars for many yrs, a truck driver and a few other things in my life. I am not afraid to pick up my tools and go to work on something to make run again. And as far as body work done that too. I was going to trike my 75 wing before it got destroyed, so when I finsh the one I am triking now and sell it. If I buy this wing I will trike it. my back and legs aren't what they use to be and I would like to ride for a long time to come.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

Okay here's my 2 cents looking at the side are those decals or gouges in the faring and saddle bag? also the bottom of the case saver looks caved in at the bottom. one last question I don't see a driver foot rest and is that the break lever sticking thru the the case saver if so that old girl was dropped Hard!!
now the good I see is the sheet metal looks good and the seat looks this side of new and dem dar things are a $$$$$$$

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Now you got my attention will know for sure on saturday when I go and look at it.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Is that an original color?
Or a common repaint color?

Looks like mine, though I have some extra's and mine had emblems removed I think.

I would not go too much either like others say. A good Carb rebuild kit is about $400 I think, no bag rails or trunk rack, no wrap around light bar around the side bags, no front bumper rack thing, and no chrome side loovers.
Mine has the above, and I was riding it up till a few months ago when I took my trip so now been sitting a couple months, should be fine and ready to ride about anywhere. Fairing had some damage but was that way when I bought it and not fell off yet LOL but should be fixed and painted or replaced.
New timing belts also and a few K miles on new tires.\

Too bad your so far away, I'd probably let mine go for maybe $1400 or so, pretty much ready to ride anywhere.

Big difference between $800 and $1400 I know, but that $600 difference may get ate up fast working on a bike that's been sitting too long and unknown!

I may be checking my 82 out good and cleaning her up to sell soon, or ride it again for awhile and work on my 1500 a bit.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I have things that I like and I have things I use. It's the things I like that take up the room in the garage. Gotta get rid of them that I like and begin enjoying the things I use! I've long recyled, refurbished and re-purposed my possessions. Am not impressed with the less than substantial materials used in todays products but do like the newer technology. Go for the '82' if if brings you to pause and interests you. Bill

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Well that was a wasted trip, very pretty country side though. the fairing was all busted up and glued back together and was already falling apart, the front and rear brakes stuck on couldn't move the bike, has been sitting since 09 with the same gas in it with the petcock on, motor wouldn't turn over at all, battery shot, had been repainted with a brush, had 60000 miles on it. frame was rusty, made an offer anyway they want more. they were wanting $550.00 for it. I couldn't see that much for it, so I left saying if they changed their mind I might be still interested in it. chromo give me a pm.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

$250........

Then part it out on EBay.....

Take the money with what you already have and buy a road worthy one, you won't regret it at all.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
$250........

Then part it out on EBay.....

Take the money with what you already have and buy a road worthy one, you won't regret it at all.
If it is as complete as it looked in the pictures you put up, then parting out may well be worth while although a great shame the paintwork has been done badly. As jobe05 says buy a more road worthy one for a few $ more and be much less frustrated. Parting that one out might raise the funds to do that.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Very true but they won't go any lower than $550.00 had already offered $500.00 for it and that was more than I wanted to go.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

sometimes you gotta make a few runs looking at junk.

I certainly have wasted more time/further trips to find wings that are terribly mis-represented.

busted-up/glued-together? RUN! Don't even offer $200.

They were fools to turn-down your $500, but did you a favour.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.