Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently picked up a 81 1100 Standard with 26 K on it. This is definitely a sickness that I;m trying to manage. Everytime I buy another bike it cost me a piece of jewelry for the wife. I still think I make out better in the deal..just waiting on a starter and title then its for sale. Will post in proper forum at that time.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

That is one nice looking bike. Any idea what you'll be asking? I wish it were a little closer.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Jeff, if it doesn:t need any more than the starter, I would like to get 1600.00

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

84GrayWing wrote:
That is one nice looking bike. Any idea what you'll be asking? I wish it were a little closer.

Jeff
I Spent the first 55 years 20miles from Dracut -Looks like a good reason to take a trip together.:bat:Gosh a lobster dinner at Browns would be in order too.:action:

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

Looks like a pretty clean bike to me too;) Good find:clapper:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

How heavy are the standards? My Boss (Wife) is going through the MSF course next month and I'm looking at used bikes for a first bike for her. She's 5'8" and has 36" inseam. I don't know if it would be too much for her at first or not. Maybe some of our female riders could help me with this one. Man I like that bike though.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I think the Standardsweigh about 650 lbs. As for your wife, those must be some legs, 36 inseam! I only have a 30 inch leg, but can reach the ground just fine. As far as a first bike, I don:t know...

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

lieutenant wrote:
I think the Standardsweigh about 650 lbs. As for your wife, those must be some legs, 36 inseam! I only have a 30 inch leg, but can reach the ground just fine. As far as a first bike, I don:t know...
They are!!!! Oh and I've been corrected she's not my "Boss" she's my "Better Half". Got caught posting the last one. Jeez you try to be sneaky and do something nice for someone and it blows up in your face.:shock:

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

84GrayWing wrote:
How heavy are the standards? My Boss (Wife) is going through the MSF course next month and I'm looking at used bikes for a first bike for her. She's 5'8" and has 36" inseam. I don't know if it would be too much for her at first or not. Maybe some of our female riders could help me with this one. Man I like that bike though.
I definitely don't recommend a GL standard as a learning bike for any woman. It doesn't matter how tall she is. These older bikes are still about 625lbs and they feel top heavy for the most part. This is not what a new rider needs. In my experience, I started small with a CM400E and it still felt big when I was learning. I have a 35-36 inch inseam myself. In general.......if a woman starts out with a bike too big, she may get discouraged and not want to continue riding when she dumps the bike. It's just my 2 cents......:waving:

Jen:cool: :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

That's what I was looking for Jennifer. She is new to motorcycles to begin with and I would hate for her to get discouraged and not want to ride. She is going to a meeting for the Sisters in Spirit riders here in OKC on saturday and I'm sure she'll get a lot of good info there as well. She is really excited about the course but a little scared too, I just want her to have fun and be able to enjoy this as much as I do.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

Glad I could help out Jeff;)

Jen :cool: :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Jeff ,if I could recommend a nice classic for your wife to ride, maybe a81 ish Honda CX 500. I bought one of these new, I was debating whether to buy this or a Goldwing. I actually thought the Wing was for older riders. Well two years later I was wise enough to buy an 83 Wing. But anyways that CX was an awesome bike. You can still find one for around 1000-1500 in excellent shape. Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

Or another couple of great learner bikes for ladies are the Honda VLX600 or the Virago 535 or 750.......or any older CX500 or CB/CM400/450, Yamaha XS400 etc. I still don't recommend anything much above 500 or 600CC for a first bike for ladies.

My friend just took the course last Sept. She didn't know anything about riding bikes and is doing well now. She bought a Suzuki Marauder 250 for her first bike.
:waving:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

oldmisterbill wrote:
84GrayWing wrote:

Jeff
I Spent the first 55 years 20miles from Dracut -Looks like a good reason to take a trip together.:bat:Gosh a lobster dinner at Browns would be in order too.:action:
oldmisterbill PM sent.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

5-8 and 36" inseam? Is that even possible? I'm 6' with a 34" inseam...

But anyway, skip the Goldwing idea. Way too heavy. They're easy to ride but a tipover would be less than fun. I'm thinking something along the lines of a cruiser or small displacement standard. Maybe an older SV650? The 94 Magna I had was fantastic and not overpowered at all, yet smooth and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Jennifer wrote:
. I have a 35-36 inch inseam myself.
Where do you women measure from..

I am only a 29 but wear 32 inch inseam all the time. Either you girls are growing taller out side of new jersey or you are measuring from a different spot.

From my experience measuring from the wrong starting point doesnt Count.:cool::cooldevil:

How tall are you with a 36 inch inseam.???

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I need to get rid of another GL1100 myself. I am glad that I'm not the only one with the sickness.

That '81 looks pretty decent.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
. I have a 35-36 inch inseam myself.
Where do you women measure from..

I am only a 29 but wear 32 inch inseam all the time. Either you girls are growing taller out side of new jersey or you are measuring from a different spot.

From my experience measuring from the wrong starting point doesnt Count.:cool::cooldevil:

How tall are you with a 36 inch inseam.???
Inseam means measure from the inside of your leg all the way up...:cool:

Just to be sure, I did a measurement and it's actually only 34", but I always buy pants in 35-36" leg length or else my pant legs are up to my knees when I am riding my Wing.

I am only 5' 6" tall though because I have a very short waist. Just look at my Avatar and see if you don't agree that my legs are long. :action:

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

Here's a picture that tells the story. Look at all our legs in this picture. That's my husband on the left in the picture and he is 6' 2". Notice my leg length next to his???
And my friend Doug is about 6' tall too. We all have the same boots on too and are standing on level ground. Need I say more?? :D :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

:shock:JEEEZ they are cut at the Knee. How do you ride like that.:action:

I get it now. In seam means the inside of your leg. Outseam should be the outside.

I know what you mean about the pant leg. I had a nice pair of straight leg jeans that showed my hairy legs above my tall boots when I ride.

Not a pretty site.
I want that goldwing shirt. NICE

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.