Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got this 94 SE with 162K miles and noticed it pops out of 4th gear sometimes. I've had this problem on 2 Suzuki cruisers in the past and was able to fix it by increasing the pressure the spring exerts on the arm with the wheel that presses against the "star" gear attached to the shift drum. I see that on the Goldwing this mechanism is at the front of the engine behind the oil filter (rather than on the left side like a V-twin), but it looks to function the same way.
I posted a fix on the M109riders forum, and some members have done this also with good results.
Has anyone tried this. Can that cover be taken off without removing the engine. Sorry, I've only had the bike 2 days so I'm just learning about it. Here's a photo of the area I'm talking about from this forum.

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
imported post

It would probably help but might make it a little harder to shift but that's better than having to split the case.
You can take the front cover off with the engine in frame.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Man cbr1000dude! You better hurry up and get that oil off Momma's good rug before she gets back!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

And welcome to the forum Dude!

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

William_86 wrote:
does the bike has floorboards and or heel/toe shifter?
I'm assuming you are asking in relation to the popping out of gear problem. As long as you shift it firmly into gear, either style of shifter works equally well. After the shift, the ratchet mechanism plays no part in keeping it in gear.
The only way it can pop out is if the shift drum turns. The square gear dogs (hopefully still square)have sliding tension, but don't lock in place like undercut gear dogs (another fix popular on Hayabusa). The "star gear" attached to the shift drum keeps it from turning and holds it in gear.
The arm/little wheel resting under pressure in the center curve between two points is all that keeps the shift drum from turning. You can see how easily the drum rotates by hand with the arm/roller wheel held back. Increasing the spring tension by whatever method (bending, adding a spacer, heavier spring) resists the gears moving apart.
Sure, worn shift forks won't be cured by this, but my 1500 Intruder had this problem from day one brand new, and this fix cured it completely for the next 5 years I had it.
So I'm hoping this helps. We'll see. It might be too late at 162K miles.
BTW, there's a company locally that makes redesigned "star gears" and heavier springs and better arm/wheel kits used mostly by the sportbike crowd and now some M109 Suzuki. I'll look them up later and post it if any of theirs fit a Goldwing.
PS Here's the link to my fix:http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89387

·
1,698 Posts
imported post

The problem on the goldwing is not that the drum is turning,-but that the shift fork is worn out , and why it is to thin it doesnt hold the gear !

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

sounds like a good idea...i left old not new... but not dirty rotten oil in over the winter and had problem shifting to 2nd....couldnt beleive it...never had a peep out of my tranny.....put new oil in and had to work it for a while and good now...it was the ratchet...i didnt have to pull that cover....put a sticky dino oil in 1st to see...syn will make it slip.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

SMEDEN(=the blacksmith) wrote:
The problem on the goldwing is not that the drum is turning,-but that the shift fork is worn out , and why it is too thin it doesnt hold the gear !
I'm sure you are correct, the whole transmission is out of spec at this point. I'm just hoping this will help hold the gear in better.
The drum has to turn however for it to go back into 3rd. Normally the rider ratchets it to turn, but with the too thin shift fork allowing the gear to move back under force, it forces the drum holder to move to the next position by banging against the grove in the drum. It can't be too bad, or it wouldn't work at all most of the time.
It's worth a try to me, so I'll give it a go.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I got most of my "fix done today, but still need new oil and coolant to finish tomorrow. It's a lot of work, and I don't know if it will work yet. It's a learning experience for sure. It still shifts is all I know at this point. Here's an after photo.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well, sad to say, it didn't work. It shifts nice and crisp, but still no 4th gear. Go ahead and tell me "I told you so"
Now I know why it was so cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

cbr1000dude wrote:
Well, sad to say, it didn't work. It shifts nice and crisp, but still no 4th gear. Go ahead and tell me "I told you so"
Now I know why it was so cheap.
Anything is worth a try, nothing ventured, nothing gained.......:waving:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear thatcbr1000dude. I'll keep my eyes open for a used engine in my area if you decide to go that route.:waving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.