Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

The Fram # is PH6017A. The Supertech ST6607 from Walmart is a much better filter, and less than $3.00

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Not going to get into a long post, but IMO, stay FAR away from any FRAM oil filter if you value your engine. Yes, decades ago, Fram was a good brand, but NOT ANY MORE.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Here's the recommended alteratives:

Napa 1358
AC PF2135,
Castrol 73117
Puralator ML 16817
SuperTech ST6607

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I recommend NAPA, they are made by WIX, and are known to be good quality. I will have to do some research to see who makes those other filters. Bosch is also a known good brand if they make it for that application.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Bosh and Supertech, as well as Amzoil filters are all made by Champion Labs. (not affiliated with Champion plugs)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I recommend NAPA, they are made by WIX, and are known to be good quality. I will have to do some research to see who makes those other filters. Bosch is also a known good brand if they make it for that application.
+1..Napa,Wix is all I use...

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I like the NAPA WIX also...

but here is a comprehensive list of those that should fit, that I have compliled. It is comma delimited if you want to cut and paste into your excel.. (No guarentee as to accuracy or suitability.. I am just using other sources to gather all the info into one place.) On thing I notice that is suspect is the Castrol 73117.. that looks like a typo to me.. I think it should be 7317... and there are a few I don't have yet..

Mfg,Model,Size
Ac Delco,PF1237,Standard
Ac Delco,PF2057,OVERSIZED
Ac Delco,PF2135,
Amsoil,SMF103,
Auto Pro,2356,
Autopride,CF240AP,OVERSIZED
Baldwin,B1400,Standard
Baldwin,B1402,OVERSIZED
Bosch,3300,Standard
Bosch,3323,OVERSIZED
Carquest,85356,OVERSIZED
Carquest RED,B4620,OVERSIZED
Casite,CF240ap,OVERSIZED
Castrol,7317?? Or 73117?,OVERSIZED
Champion Labs,PH2867,OVERSIZED
Defense Filters,DI7317,OVERSIZED
Deutch,D-370,OVERSIZED
Emgo,10-82230,
Federated,LF240f,OVERSIZED
Firestone,TF2876,Standard
FRAM,PH6607,Standard
FRAM,PH7317,OVERSIZED
FRAM(Toughgrd),TG3593A,Standard
FRAM(Dblgrd),G7317,OVERSIZED
FRAM(Toughgrd),TG7317,OVERSIZED
FRAM(xtragrd),XG7317,OVERSIZED
Group7,V4610,OVERSIZED
Group7,V4620,OVERSIZED
Hastings,LF113,Standard
Hastings,LF240f,OVERSIZED
Honda OEM,15410-MCJ-000,Standard
K&N,KN-303,OVERSIZED
K&N,KN-303C,OVERSIZED
K&N,KN-204,Standard
Mighty,M4612,OVERSIZED
Mobil1,M1-108,Standard
Mobil1,M1-110,OVERSIZED
Motorcraft Long Life,FL-821,OVERSIZED
Motorcraft Long Life,FIL1356,OVERSIZED
Motorcraft Long Life,1356,OVERSIZED
Motorcraft Long Life,PH2867,OVERSIZED
NAPA Gold,1356,OVERSIZED
NAPA Gold,1358,Standard
Pennzoil,PZ-109,OVERSIZED
Penske,7317,OVERSIZED
Powerflo,SL14610,OVERSIZED
Powerflo,SL14620,OVERSIZED
Pro Gauge,PGO-4620,OVERSIZED
Pro Tec,164,OVERSIZED
Promotive,PH4610,OVERSIZED
Pronto,PO3593A,OVERSIZED
Purolator,L14610,OVERSIZED
Purolator Premium+,L14612,Standard
Purolator PureOne,PL14620,Standard
Purolator PureOne,PL14610,OVERSIZED
Purolator,ML16817,
Service Champ,OF-4622,OVERSIZED
Shell,SH48,OVERSIZED
STP,S-02876,Standard
STP,SMO-17,
SuperTech,ST6607,Standard
SuperTech,7317,OVERSIZED
Warner,PH2867,OVERSIZED
WIX,51356,OVERSIZED
WIX,51358,Standard

Edit.. a few typos fixed.. a couple more added.. point out errors if you see them..

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

I've been using the dreaded junk Fram filters for 10 years on cars and motorcycle. No engine failure yet.

I did a 500 mi oil change on my 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander. Mobil 1 and a Fram filter. Doing the 3500 mi oil change, and guess what? Fram and Mobil 1, again.

You wouldn't use a motorcycle filter on your car, why use a car filter on your motorcycle?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

milliesdad wrote:
....You wouldn't use a motorcycle filter on your car, why use a car filter on your motorcycle?
Might not if you could tell me a significant difference (other than the name and number)

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

If the Supertech ST 6607 is a car oil filter, then "yes", I have been using a car oil filter in my Gold Wing for years.

Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
I like the NAPA WIX also...

but here is a comprehensive list of those that should fit, that I have compliled.  It is comma delimited if you want to cut and paste into your excel.. (No guarentee as to accuracy or suitability.. I am just using other sources to gather all the info into one place.)  On thing I notice that is suspect is the Castrol 73117.. that looks like a typo to me.. I think it should be 7317... and there are a few I don't have yet.. for example, like the K&N and the Amsoil.. and there should be some Ford numbers too..

A+ on the list sandiegobrass...to each their own "flavor" of filters...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Here's a good report on motorcycle oil filters. Been posted many times before. As for the difference in oil filters for cars vs. motorcycles, there really isn't any significant difference in the case of Goldwings. Goldwing engines are slow turning, waster cooled engines much different from air cooled and high revving bike engines. The GW engine is more like a car engine in it's power loading and typicalrpm range. The oil pressure in a 'Wing mill is pretty much typical when compared to most auto engines. I don't see any reason to worry about whether a filter is branded for motorcycles or cars. In fact many times there is no difference other than the price when manufacturers sell the same filter marked for a car or a bike.

As for Fram, take a look at the Fram filter in the link above. Note the weak attachment of the end plates to the filter media compared to most of the other filters. If you do some research online you will find many descriptions of Fram filters being poorly made. This applies only to the spin on type Fram filters, there's nothing wrong with the cartridge Fram filter used on the four cylinder 'Wings.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Good to be reminded, Paul... and I have had at least as many apart myself... My question above was just rhetorical... I know the differences. and the only one difference that I found was that some motorcycle filters have heaver cases.. usually about 0.015 to 0.017" while the auto filter cases vary from 0.010 to about 0.015"...

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

The car oil filters are exactly the same as motorcycle oil filters. If it fits, why not use it. Except for FRAM. I took one apart the other day after pulling off of my car. Yep, cardboard holding the element together. If water gets into that, stand by for a oil filter failure. Plastic or metal would work better.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

Stay as far away from Fram as you can, for bike or anything else. When I was still truck driving, the truck mechanic at the shop had a filter cutter, and he showed me the difference between a poor filter (Fram) and a good one (Wix, Hastings). It was amazing! The build quality, valving and filter media quality and construction are totally superior in good filters.

And as far as my Wing, I'll pay the Honda surcharge once or twice a year for the security of knowing my bike won't be damaged. Online shopping helps lower the cost, but if it cost an extra $20 a year, well...

JMHO

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Reading these informative reports has me wondering the positive/negative of the oversize filters. (SuperTech,ST6607,Standard vs SuperTech,ST7317,OVERSIZED)

One would think that more filter area = better filtering. What am I missing?

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

I also use the NAPA 1356 Gold long filter on my ride.

And they are on sale now at most NAPA stores. Five and change. I bought seven.:)

JD

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

SamH wrote:
Reading these informative reports has me wondering the positive/negative of the oversize filters. (SuperTech,ST6607,Standard vs SuperTech,ST7317,OVERSIZED)

One would think that more filter area = better filtering. What am I missing?
All things being equal including the quality of the filter media more filter area is better. But you also have to consider the construction of the filter and it's check valve.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.