Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
How many frame cracks were repaired for early Wings ?
Just bought an 03 Wing Champ Trike and came across this.
That can freek you out.
Was it Wing Frames or Champ parts as well ?
thanks for the help
Happy Thanksgiving

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
wingit2u

go to the Fun Forum, and play with the guys there on the quick and fast stuff, your post count will go up in a hurry.

when it exceeds 15 come back and post us a picture.

My bike is an '02 and never had a frame crack. I know the PO and he said it has been checked a couple of times but never an issue.

I had the plastics off a while back and did not see anything to worry about.

There were some, yes, but not enough to scare me off from buying an '02.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
My Buddy has an 04 that's cracked right now.Honda told him to pound salt.They're doing nothing for him.One owner bike with approx 70k miles on it.There was also an 03 earlier this summer in Ottawa that was broken in half.The center of the bike was sitting on the ground.Honda obviously was doing nothing for him as he was almost giving it away as is($3200).There is enough out there that if I had known I would have bought nothing older than 05 with the new frame.

·
Administrator
24,375 Posts
It was only 01-02 in the recall and if it's a trike it's your problem anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
The frame fix didn`t come along till late `04 models, so I would include '03, and '04 models for possible frame cracking. Wonder how long Honda will cover them.
gumbyred

·
Administrator
21,856 Posts
Anyone got a copy of the recall notice? That would be the best way to settle the frame question.

As far as Wingit2u's problem. As Dave said, it's his problem. Honda won't warranty a modified machine. And I don't blame them a bit for that.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Anyone got a copy of the recall notice? That would be the best way to settle the frame question.
Good question:
Was it a safety recall which goes on forever or an extended warranty with a time limit?
As far as Wingit2u's problem. As Dave said, it's his problem. Honda won't warranty a modified machine. And I don't blame them a bit for that.
Yep a trike kit could or would put extra stress on the frame which Honda didn't design for.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
It was a SERVICE BULLETIN
SB 18 2003-2004 Frame Weld Recall (February 2005)
SB 17 2001-2002 Frame Weld Recall - Revised (April 2005)

Recall ID #41118 - STRUCTURE:FRAME AND MEMBERS
Recall Date
JAN 31, 2005
Motorcycle Affected
2004 HONDA GL1800A

Summary
ON SOME MOTORCYCLES, CERTAIN FRAME WELDS DO NOT MEET MANUFACTURING SPECIFICATIONS. HIGH LOADS CREATED WHEN RIDING ON ROUGH ROAD SURFACES OR THROUGH POTHOLES CAN CAUSE THE AFFECTED WELDS TO CRACK.

Consequence
THE WELDED AREA COULD BREAK, RESULTING IN REAR SUSPENSION COLLAPSE OR LOWER CROSS MEMBER SEPARATION, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND, IF NECESSARY, REINFORCE THE WELDS ON 2001-2002 MOTORCYCLES FREE OF CHARGE. ON 2003-2004 MOTORCYCLES, THE UNITS WILL BE REPAIRED, NO INSPECTION WILL BE NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 9, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-866-784-1870.

Potential Motorcycles Affected

Notes
HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.) P66

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/49/2004/honda/gl1800a/41118.html#ixzz3shWzIctf

There was more of a problem than just the recall spots Honda re welded. Some were cracking in places that Honda did not include in the recheck.. Several cracked behind the passenger foot rest, 1 that I know of even cracked on the cross member under the seat.
I loved my 02 and the frame was re welded under the recall but that thought was always in the back of my mind, so I sold it and bought an 08.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts

·
Administrator
24,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
There were some very late year 04's that were supposed to have gotten the new frame.There were also some built just before that,that were not included in the recall(mine).They just had a modified welding process and still retained the too thin tubes behind the passenger footrests.I checked my VIN and it wasn't included in the recall,so I thought I was OK.I've done a bit of research since and there are still 01-04's showing up with cracks so for peace of mind I wouldn't at this point buy anything older than an 05 with the new frame.

BTW Just because these frames were inspected and were OK at the time of doesn't mean they won't crack at some point in the future.

·
Administrator
57,468 Posts
Chris, should I be shaking in my boots? :frown2:

I suspect that if my '02 had a bad weld, it would have showed up quite a while ago. The PO installed the Traxxion suspension on it many years ago and I would think that if it was going to crack, that it would have by now.

·
Administrator
24,375 Posts
It is after all a NTSB recall, which means pretty much forever. If Honda refused to fix one, not the dealer but mother Honda I would contact the NTSB, that is provided it is not a trike or sidecar rig which the bulletin clearly states is not their problem. John, I imagine the stiffer springs are easier on the frame than the stock ones since they don't bottom out so easily.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Yes a safety recall goes on forever.
However if the fix requires parts that are NLA I have no idea what you or mother Honda can/will do.

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I looked at a white 2001 about a year ago. It was a private party sale. Never had seen a white one. Ran a V.I.N. check on it at the local Honda dealer. Turned out it was originaly sold to the City of San Antonio as a police bike. That explained the holes drilled here and there.
Had the oxygen sensor replacement, along with some gaskets. What really scared me was the part about "Total frame failure in 2010". Don`t know what was done about it. The guy I talked to knew nothing about it, or wasn`t saying. He had bought the bike from a Honda dealer around the time of the frame failure. Do a V.I.N. check!!!!
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Need I say more :<)

Service Bulletins for GL1500
SB1 1988 GL1500 Carburetor Vent Hose Routing
SB2 1988 GL1500 Low Speed Driveability Improvement
SB3 GL1500 CB Radio Sub Harness
SB4 1988-1989 GL1500 Saddlebag Water Leakage
SB5 1988-1989 GL1500 Improved Windshield Seal
SB6 1988-1993 GL1500 Bank Angle Sensor Replacement
SB7 1997 GL1500C Valkyrie Turn Signal Bracket Replacement
SB8 1997-1998 GL1500C/CT Valkyrie CB Radio Kit
SB9 2000 GL1500A/SE Defective 3 Way T Fitting To The Air Injuction Control
SL34 1997 GL1500C Leather Saddlebags Hardware Replacement.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.