SB2 1988 GL1500 Low Speed Driveability Improvement
SB3 GL1500 CB Radio Sub Harness
SB4 1988-1989 GL1500 Saddlebag Water Leakage
SB5 1988-1989 GL1500 Improved Windshield Seal
SB6 1988-1993 GL1500 Bank Angle Sensor Replacement
SB7 1997 GL1500C Valkyrie Turn Signal Bracket Replacement
SB8 1997-1998 GL1500C/CT Valkyrie CB Radio Kit
SB9 2000 GL1500A/SE Defective 3 Way T Fitting To The Air Injuction Control
SL34 1997 GL1500C Leather Saddlebags Hardware Replacement.
Well, yes, what's your point? This thread is about 1800 frame cracks, not 1500s, or anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I think there is some confusion about frame crack history.
Some say mine was done, which could mean, inspected, or gussets added
for repair or preventive ideas. Im surprised cracks show up all over
in un related area's to each other. Its a week frame.
Although its my first Honda, I'v ridden since the 60's, owned a Tool & Die shop 36 years,
and made parts for Planes, Boats, Trucks, Bikes, Caterpillar.
It seems a week frame can be trashed by the right pot hole years later.
Honda is using the trike excuse to cheat us..Its bad and confidence is gone for me.
But Have a wonderful ride fellow un intentional test pilots.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Chris, should I be shaking in my boots? :frown2:

I suspect that if my '02 had a bad weld, it would have showed up quite a while ago. The PO installed the Traxxion suspension on it many years ago and I would think that if it was going to crack, that it would have by now.
It's not the welds that are breaking now.It's the tubes behind the passenger footrests that basically hold the back end of the bike together.The tubes are so thin that they claim there is no way to properly repair them.Like I said before mine is one of the patched up frames from late 04 and yes I keep a pretty close eye on it.Honda Canada doesn't appear to be as forthcoming about replacing frames still as she is in the States.Maybe I should just pawn it off on someone that is still convinced it's not an issue.Oh wait a minute I actually have a conscience so that won't work.

BTW I've also read that while this is a safety recall there is a sort of "Statute of Limitations" on it.So after a point Honda replacing them becomes more of a goodwill thing.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Wonder why my search didn't turn up the 03-04 recall?

Dave, I just looked at your pdf link, On page 15 I believe svc bulletin #18 revised April 2009 shows 2003 & 2004 frame weld recall

You had it covered :grin3:

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Yeah Dave, your mistake was in thinking you made a mistake! :ROFL:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Update My thanks to Moon Motors all brands Mn.
Im feeling much better after visiting Earl Moon, the best mechanic I ever knew.
My frame was re welded years ago where the welds were lite from Honda.
Being new to Wings, I asked to check it out, and check the anti dive valve, stuck.
The brake fluid was old and dirty, thats not Honda's fault. Some people are cheap.
The brake re call might include all wings. I left with new master Cyls and flushed again.
Then I found trike dealer who did 600+ kits and he saw almost no crack problems.
If your trike wasn't re welding when this was news, A local Tig welder can save the bike.
We are looking forward to traveling with the Wing Champ trike.
Happy Day

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Update My thanks to Moon Motors all brands Mn.
Im feeling much better after visiting the best Wing/BMW dealer I use for many years.
My frame was re welded years ago where the welds were lite from Honda.
Being new to Wings, I asked to check it out, and check the anti dive valve, stuck.
The brake fluid was old and dirty, thats not Honda's fault. Some people are cheap.
The brake re call might include all wings. I left with new master Cyls and flushed again.
Then I found trike dealer who did 600+ kits and he saw almost no crack problems.
If your trike wasn't re welding when this was news, A local Tig welder can save the bike.
We are looking forward to traveling with the Wing Champ trike.
Happy Day
Even the best of welders can only do so much if the base product is too thin.It would just re-break beside the repair eventually.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.