Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on the Honda Recall Bulletins (2001 > 2003 GL1800) that Trikes are not included in the recall even thou the Vin# is within the affected series. Is that because Trikes have non factory attachments to the frame & Honda shys away or with a trike kit the framing is stronger? When Triked isn't the section where cracks occur on the frame still part of the bike?:nerd::nerd:

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
I believe Honda's position was/is that once triked, it's no longer the product that Honda sold ..... and so Honda will no longer support it or otherwise even condone it's existence ..... thus stating in effect ..... "It's your baby now".

It's about product liability.

A dealer may sell Honda products and make $$$ off those same sales and he may also sell trike conversions and install same for more $$$ ..... but he does not make Honda herself liable for those trikes.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I kinda' thought that was the case. I can understand that position. Funny, last year I took a GL1500 in for service & was told that Authorized Honda Dealer no longer worked on GL1500's. Guess that makes it an OLDWING instead of a GOLDWING? It's good to be the King!

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
I hear you ..... I have been fortunate to have the health and some limited ability and be able to do everything I've needed done to my Gold Wings so far ...... but I know some guys here locally with GL1500s and nearest dealer an hour away and I get asked a lot ..... about where to take one or if I'll help them with something.

Be nice if I could get them to go ride some! :D

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I kinda' thought that was the case. I can understand that position. Funny, last year I took a GL1500 in for service & was told that Authorized Honda Dealer no longer worked on GL1500's. Guess that makes it an OLDWING instead of a GOLDWING? It's good to be the King!
Not just the 15's,anything over 10 years old they won't touch.
A lot of the frames that are showing up with cracks or totally busted are breaking in an area that was even inspected in the original recall.They're breaking behind the pass footrests.the area that supports the trunk and bags.Apparently the tubes are too thin to repair properly.My buddies is broke there right now and he's been fighting with Honda since last summer.Last I heard he was gonna part it out.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wonder if someone with experience would let us know where to look specifically for frame cracks. I've looked at the frame as best as I could see it, & all looks OK. Mines a 2003 GL1800 w/2004 Roadsmith kit. Probably the last complete inspection of the frame was in 2004*when the kit was installed.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
Our chapter now has quite a few Trikes based on GL1800s (as do most chapters I guess) of various years, but so far I haven't heard much about frame cracks on that local front. What I hear is what I read here and elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
I have been looking to upgrade from my current 1500 to an 1800. I cam across a 2005 GL1800A Set-up Instructions booklet. Right on the second page of this manual it states
"Modifications that you might have made, or should make in the future, to any Honda product, shall be deemed by our company to have been performed at your sole risk and responsibility, and
without our company's or the manufacturer's approval, or consent, implied or expressed. We further disclaim any and all liability, obligation, or responsibility for any defects of modified parts or
of the modified product, and for any claims, demands, or causes of action for damage to property or for personal injuries resulting from the modification of said Honda product"
I think that sums it up.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,264 Posts
I have an '02 1800 and there is no sign of any problems with mine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.