Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well the good guys from Honda came and took my baby away on Tuesday - nice guys - I have to be honest and saw that the back end on the bike has felt not right for a couple of weeks now but put that down to the rear tire getting near to replacement. Could nt see any sign of crakcs in all the areas Honda were on about so to get a phone call this morning owas a bit of a shock. You frame has a crack in it - wont tell you what i said but i did close the mic on the phone to save the ladies blushes at the other end.

Not happy at all the bike is a grey import from the USA (Yellow is still the best colour dispite all this crap). first time i mentioned about it i was told in no uncertain terms to take it back to the USA and let them fix any problems!! Not what i wanted to hear.

Anyway the long and the short of it is that a new frame is coming from Japan and will take 3 weeks to get here (thats me holiday trashed anyway). The frame alone is £2500 plus all the bearings and everything else that needs to be replaced. The garage that i spoke to this afternoon reckoned it will cost Honda a minimum of £4000 to do the work.

Needless to say i aint a happy bunny tonight and it is a good job i dont have a cat as it would have been kicked from here to kingdom come.

What also worries me was i was doing a 100+ mph on some good roads over the weekend - i really am having dark thoughts about what could have happened.

Rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

Phil, I didn't quite understand if Honda are footing the bill or are asking you to pay it (hopefully it's Honda).

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No thankfully Honda are paying for it. I just stuck the costs involved for info - would be interesting know how many have failed. The people doing the work said its the first one they have had that they have been involved with and they reckon they have done a couple of hundred bikes.

Rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Bummer about bike and bummer about holiday, where were you going and what will you do about it?

Pete

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

was going to load the bike up and either head off over to europe for a week or upto the north west coast of scotland. Basically see where i end up - used to live over in germany and thought i might go and see how the places have changed LOL

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Hi Phil, sorry to hear about your holiday being messed up. Honda are probably right about yours being the first. There have been about 35 sent over from here and none were cracked and from browsing some of the regional Wing forums in the UK I haven't read about a single cracked frame except yours. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
was going to load the bike up and either head off over to europe for a week or upto the north west coast of scotland. Basically see where i end up - used to live over in germany and thought i might go and see how the places have changed LOL

rgds

Phil
You don't want to go up to Scotland and you might run into Black Bart and you know what he's like!! What were you doing in Germany, are you an ex sqaddie?:doh:

I'm an ex matelot, but don't hold it against me.:goofygrin:

Not like our friends across the pond then, a two bike family?

Pete

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Not a sqaddie m8 but ex RAF did nearly 24 yers for my sins LOL good fun all the same. Now work for the same lot doing a different job but without any of the military crap - totally different the way your treated:cool::cool::cool:

Phil

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
Not a sqaddie m8 but ex RAF did nearly 24 yers for my sins LOL good fun all the same. Now work for the same lot doing a different job but without any of the military crap - totally different the way your treated:cool::cool::cool:

Phil
Brilliant, get paid working for them and then get even better paid working for them afterwards.I have a good mate, out of Lynenham, now doing the same after 22.

I was going to offer you my bike for the leave period, but I just noticed the 100 mph bit in your 1st thread post!!!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

surprising enough Norfolk has some quite decent roads when you get going and when the sugar beet lorries arent about. Wouldnt take you up on the kind thought m8 as i wouldnt let anyone else ride my baby. I have a loan bike but it is just not the same as my own - doesnt have all the gadgets for one thing - including the camera detector :)

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I'm glad your frame is for free being repaired Phil. Mine came back with all the recals done last week.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
Not happy at all the bike is a grey import from the USA (Yellow is still the best colour dispite all this crap).

What also worries me was i was doing a 100+ mph on some good roads over the weekend - i really am having dark thoughts about what could have happened.
Hey Phil :stumped:

(1) Yellow is not the best colour, it's only used by the AA and some Taxis. :baffled:

(2) You should not be doing 100+MPH on the :18yellow:if that is the speed you want to ride at, buy yourself an R1 or R6 and get on the race track. :whip:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Phil, With a bit of luck you will have your Wing back in time for the treffen.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I was chatting with a GL1800 owner over the weekend here in Massachusetts and he said Honda did NOT pick up his bike for the frame repair.. He drove it to the dealer and went back to check on it a few days later... It was almost stripped down to bare bones to do the re-weld... When it was finished, he went to pick it up and said Honda did a marvelous job with the weld and putting the bike back together.. They welded the X-member in the back.. Both sides... :)

Seems like there's nothing to worry about during the whole process.. I'm wondering if the frame has too much latteral stress on it due to the one sided swing arm support. ??? :baffled:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.